Grouping shapes together?

Hi! Had a simple question-is there a way to group shapes together to make selecting and moving them easier? Does ‘components’ work like a grouping function?

Thanks!

No. Can I see the glyph you are working on? Perhaps I can suggest something different.

Here’s the sample. Thanks!

http://postimg.org/image/gae22juax/

You can use components for elements you re-use, like the penguin’s feet. For the rest, you can select whole paths by double-clicking them or the canvas in their vicinity. Hike down shift for adding to/removing from the selection.

Does that help?

Sort of. What I’d like to do is be able to select the head (for instance) with the eye, the beak and the outline with just a few clicks. As it is I have to select each element (holding shift) to select the group. I can’t make the head a component because each glyph has a different head.

I understand if there isn’t an easy way, but being able to group shapes would really speed things up.

Thanks for your help!

Even a select-inverse option would help

This is possible. Hold down shift and drag a selection rect over the whole glyph.

That’s a neat trick!

It is not impossible to use components only once. That way you could even quickly switch heads if you just change the component’s name.

Thanks! You guys are very helpful!

Wondering in the same regard (although I cannot recall your suggestion Mekkablue!)
HOW COULD YOU SELECT A SPECIFIC COMPONENT FROM UNDERNEATH STACK/OVERLAID SEVERAL COMPONENTS IN THE SAME COMPOSITE?