Help needed to recreate a 1891 mark

Hello

I am out of my depth so have joined your forum in the hope that someone can solve my problem.
I am attempting to include in a book, an example of a First Nation language which was translated in 1891. It was never published and I am working from the hand written original manuscript.

My problem is that the work includes “marks” which were invented by the writer so I can’t reproduce them. Basically they are the lower case letters, a, e, and u with a combined accent on top. The “accent” is a breve sitting on top of a caret or circumflex if they are the correct terms. It looks like a cup sitting on top of an inverted “v”.

Of course, the type-face didn’t exist in 1891 so publication was impossible then but I hope with modern technology, it is now possible.

Thanks for reading my request.
Ian Fletcher

This can be achieved with combing marks and mark attachment. See the tutorial for Mark Attachment for more details.

If you want to reproduce the specimen or emulate it, please post a Font ID request at: http://typography.guru/forums/forum/43-font-identification/

You will need a scan suitable for posting. It is very likely you will find what you need that way.

What he means is that you type two marks (a circumflex and a breve). Using mark positioning, they can be stacked on top of each other. If you need a slightly different shape to make it look better you add a glyph circumflexcomb_brevecomb that has both shapes – it is a accent ligature.

Thank you all very much for your kind and prompt advice.
Ian Fletcher