Here's a question about object stacking order

I often need to cut overlapping objects, usually where overlapping lines meet. In Illustrator you can control what is in back, or front, of what so that you cut the object that you intend.

In Glyphs, two rectangles overlay each other to form a red cross “+”. I add points at the intersections and then cut the same points. What seems to be happening is that the first-most (not sure if first-most is a word) object drawn seems to the one that gets the new anchors and thus is the one cut.

The odd thing is that the first object created would seem to be on the bottom of any stacking order. I’m not sure if I enen have it right.

Which object really does get cut in the situation described. The first object created (thus on the bottom) or the last object created (thus on the top of the stacking order).

I do the above constantly, up till now I just flail away at it and things work out. I would like to know if there is a consistant logic though. If there was, I could simply cut and paste any object to make it the front most object and I could control what gets cut with consistency.

D

If there was, I could simply cut and paste any object to make it the front most object and I could control what gets cut with consistency.

I think Glyphs cuts the path on top. But when you paste a path it goes to the bottom, which makes things confusing.

OK. Took me a minute to figure out what you posted. Kind of like some zen quote.

I’ll look at it tomorrow.

thanks for the answer

D

I do not see why it is important to know what object is on top while removing overlap. The remove overlap in Glyphs is like the combine shapes in Illustrator. Only if the path direction is different, you might get a white cutout.

There was a bug in the remove overlap code (from Adobe) that deleted on element if they are congruent. (That means if you create one, duplicate it and rotate it 90°.)