How to clean duplicated nodes in batch

I believe the red mark shows up when the nodes are under 1 unit of distance apart. That grid setup allows for fractional values for node locations. If the two nodes were part of a straight line beyond the nodes, then they would be tidied up.

You can use the Delete Short Segments filter from Window > Plugin Manager.

Or set the gird to 1 and run the Tidy up paths command. Setting the gird will not actually enforce it, just if you move nodes.

Thanks guys! It finally worked with Delete Short Segments

Hi guys, I’m trying to use the Delete Short Segments filter for same problem as described above (Overlapping red nodes on a highly textured design). However it doesn’t seem to be working. Any ideas?

Tidying up does not work? Cmd Opt shift T.

Correct ‘Tidy up paths’ does not work.

Grid spacing = 1 / Subdivision = 1 and I have also used ‘Round coordinates’ First. It has worked initially on some letters but not others. Refer to images:

Can you send me the W?

Sure — support at glyphsapp?

I’ve sent the file to the email above. Please let me know if there is an alternate address.

Many thanks.

The e-mail did not reach me. The one you mentioned here was fine, but as a spam protection measure please do not post cleartext e-mail addresses publicly.

You can also use a Forum DM.

Ok, have re-sent via forum DM. Thanks.

The “Tidy up paths” only removes very short line segments. The red dots also show up on short curve segments.

So is there no way to batch clean duplicated nodes when they are curves?

Rainers script could be adjusted to do that.

Hm? Just tried again and Tidy up paths also removes zero-length curve segments for me.

The problem is something else. You have a lot of single-segment paths:

Technically, it is MOVETO-CURVETO, which usually is displayed as two nodes. Just get rid of these. Good way is the Delete Small Paths filter, from Window > Plugin Manager, with a threshold value of approx. 15.

How did you create these paths?

Thanks for taking a look however I’m seeing something different on my end. Take this ‘W’ for instance, none of these errors are single segment paths like in your example:

They all seem to be zero-length curve segments for me with at least three nodes. And tidy up paths seems to have no effect.

The paths were created in illustrator using autotrace.

The paths are so bad that I would consider ditching them and inserting new ones.

• Get rid of the smallest ones. Anything below 100 square units is microscopically tiny and can hardly be displayed.
  • For the ones that are left over, consider redrawing with line segments (i.e., no curves).
  • For the ones you do not want to delete, fixing these zero segments goes like this:
    1. Hold down the Option key and drag-select the red point. This selects only the on-curve points of the segment.
      get-rid-of-red-segments-1
    2. Option-Delete to delete the segment. This also breaks open the path.
      get-rid-of-red-segments-2
    3. Double click to select the whole path.
      get-rid-of-red-segments-3
    4. Move it left-right with the cursor keys: this should close the path again. (Alternatively, right-click and choose Close Open Paths from the context menu.)
      get-rid-of-red-segments-4

Ok, I’ll try a few things, thanks for your help!