How to create a custom weight class between two default classes

I dont know if this is the right approach or not, but here goes:

(I’m using Glyphs 3.0.2.)

I would like to add a custom weight class for one instance (Regular Text, 450) that sits right between the Regular (400) and the Medium (500) weight. Adding 450 as a value in the Axes Coordinates → Weight field creates a font file that looks as intended, no problems there.

However, even though the font looks good I still have two problems: Adobe applications order fonts (as I understand it) based on weightclass values. Problem is that I can’t seem to rename the weightclass from “Regular (400)” to “Regular Text (450)” in order to create a custom weight class for this specific instance. So I get this sorting, since although the the “Regular” and “Regular Text” fonts differ in weight, they share the same weight class.

Skärmavbild 2021-05-10 kl. 16.39.40

Second problem with this approach is that Win10 doesn’t seem to understand 450 as a weight between 400 and 500, instead it displays the Regular Text weight as a seperate “family”:

win10-sorting

Should I give up on this approach and instead use the default weight classes and values, and play around with the Axes Coordinates / Weight values and naming until I find the right balance…?

You can just type in the Weight Class field. The Axes Coordinates are specifying the interpolation, not the weight class. The numbers can coincide but a lot of times don’t.

Yep, I understand that the axes coordinates determines the interpolation, and the weight class determines font sorting (and other things as well, I suppose)

weightclass2

I added “450” in the Weight Class field for Regular Text - both problems I described earlier persists.

For Adobe menus, the 450 style will be sorted between the 400 and 500. Best to check with the Adobe Fonts folder in order to exclude a potential font conflict. If the problem persists after exporting, I assume the error does not lie within the font but in the way the font is provided to the Adobe app.