How to PUA encode an existing font?

The font you sent me works, the ligatures th and tt form as expected. There must be something wrong in the way the font is applied and which settings are set in Word. The font itself is OK.

Perhaps try experimenting with the settings, selections, etc. Make sure the font is really replaced and you are not accessing an outdated version. Do you know how to clear font caches in Windows?

Hey,

I’m using mac and I’ve cleared all caches and applied the settings too. Played around with it as well. Can’t figure out what could be the issue. The client who is using the font also can’t get it right. He’s on windows. He has tried using other fonts and they seem to be working fine. The issue crops up only with my font.

I also created a new font and installed it for the first time so there can’t be any cache’s. But it too has the same issue. The ligatures don’t work and the option to use them is also greyed out in the ‘text effects’ drop down.

I believe this is a languagesystem issue. I just tested two versions of a font of mine. The first one had

languagesystem DFLT dflt;

and the second one had

languagesystem DFLT dflt; languagesystem latn dflt;

As you can see from the screenshot below, Word needs the latn dflt bit for the OpenType features to work. All text has ligatures enabled.

Glyphs used to add both lines automatically, but now only adds the first one. This problem has been around for a while:
https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/opentype-features-ms-word/

@GeorgSeifert and @mekkablue, is there a reason Glyphs stopped adding the latn dflt line? Is it possible to revert the previous behavior?

2 Likes

Hey, Thanks a lot for confirming this.
I was reading another thread and I thought this could be an issue. I had tried adding languagesystem latn dflt; but I couldn’t. It kept going back to DFLT as soon as it updated.

Not sure how to add it to check the same.

Uncheck the automatic.

Man! I can never thank you enough! It worked!!! Thank you SOOO much!

Also, @mekkablue like @harbortype asked, is there no way to get back to having the line added automatically?

2 Likes

It adds automatically once you have one locl feature in Latin.

1. e.g., add the glyphs iacute and jacute
  2. automate all features
  3. update feature code