How to tie up two guidelines?

For Hanzi/Kanji/Hangul design, we always need to measure components in different glyphs. Is it possible to tie up two guidelines? I mean when you move one guideline the other one follows and always keep the same distance. It will be great to tie up even more than two guidelines.

You can shift-select multiple guides and move them at the same time.

That’s not very efficiency and convenient especially when you have many local guidelines. A better solution will be able to tie up multiple guidelines so you can just pick any of them and move freely.

What are you measuring? Guides might not be the best solution if you need to move them all the time?

As you can see above, in one font of Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja, the left/right or left/mid/right composition glyphs has almost the same width between components. So do for up/down or up/mid/down composition glyphs. That’s why I think a group of guidelines could measure the proportion of components in glyphs.

Moreover, a group of guidelines with fixed distance and angle could be an essential tool for drawing anything. When using Glyphs for a quick logo or icon, it could be used to measure stems, serifs, stroke cuts, ink traps, etc.

Interesting. I’ll have a look.

I see big potential in guidelines. A group of guidelines could be used to measure path like a set square or a T-square. If guidelines could be used to TRIM path, we could make some cool stuff more quickly.

1 Like

Have you tried my Stem Rhythm Plugin?
It was initially design exclusively for Khmer, but it can be abused to a certain extend, and with feedback from designers of other scripts, I am happy to add functionalities that serve these needs. My latest plans are making it work for Javanese, for example.

hi Mark, I didn’t know your plugin. Thank you for your info. Nevertheless, I think tied up guidelines are easier way for Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja requirement. There are too many interwoven strokes and situations for those glyphs. BTW, can you add vertical function to your blindfold plugin?

Ok

I could, but first I need to know how you think that would work?
The blindfold method is usually only useful in Latin or somewhat similar scripts like Cyrillic and Greek. And the plugin currently seeks for either the x-Height or the cap-Height (I should ad SC height as well). But those are not relevant in a vertical layout. What should it cover/reveal? And does it even provide a visual help for spacing out Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja?

There exists a vertical visual identification zone in Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja just like x-Height does for latin letters. However, since there is almost no metrics setting in Glyphs for Hanzi/Kanji/Hanji, vertical guidelines is of course missing.

An easy way for vertical blindfold could be just a custom parameter for both left and right blackness. A pro version could be setting left and right blackness individually.

Can you add the bars to a screenshot in Photoshop?

Do you mean guidelines or blindfold? Below is about blindfold.

So you want to have the actual letters covered instead of keeping only the letters uncovered (as the current Blindfold does)?

I want glyphs covered on left and right side. The right diagram is just to show the concept of the vertical ‘X-height’ in Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja. But if it is not very complex, I also would like to have inner vertical space covered as a reverse test view.