Importing files with dual-encoded glyphs

Hello –

So, I searched the forum for “dual encoding” and “dual encoded” but found no results. This was a surprise.

I am wondering if there’s something on the development roadmap for dealing with dual-encoded glyphs when importing non-Glyphs source files. It would be great if, when opening a font with dual-encoded glyphs, Glyphs gave a set of options:

• remove the higher code point
  • duplicate the glyph as a composite to the second code point
  • duplicate the glyph as outlines to the second code point

Or if this was an option that could be set in the Glyphs preferences.

Thoughts?
Micah

The problem is that the Adobe makeOTF that Glyphs uses to compile fonts does not support it so the handling of double unicodes is not supported property.

Could you send me a sample font with double unicode to help implementing your suggestions. The second option sounds the most reasonable.

Ah, that makes sense.

I will send you something later this evening or perhaps tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Micah

I will subset a common dual-encoded situation for you. Where should I send it?

Micah

Duplicating glyphs (preferably as composites) makes sense for me. I often work with old fonts and such solution for dual encoding would save me some time adding non-breaking hyphens or spaces for instance.

It also will work when you open a CID Font, some characters use the same glyph and if you export as ROS-0 (zero) you will miss all those characters that by default carry multiple encodings

It also will work when you open a CID Font, some characters use the same glyph and if you export as ROS-0 (zero) you will miss all those characters that by default carry multiple encodings

Yes…ugh to CID fonts.

Micah