Incompatible Masters - blue nodes not moving

Hi guys, I’m having issues with my incompatible masters. I’ve gone through and checked number of anchors and their arms, they’re the same throughout. I’m able to modify the GREEN line, as it’s attached to the first node. I’ve gone through all of this article and downloaded the Harbortype plugins… I’m just so lost as to why it’s showing this many lines that are completely immovable. Any tips are welcome, I am a beginner… is this a necessary step for a variable typeface? Willing to try just about anything. Thanks!

The wild mix of lines indicates that the points of the different masters are not ordered the same. A good first fix is to apply PathCorrect Path Direction for all Masters (hold down the Option key when the Path menu is open or press Command-Option-Shift-R).

Didn’t do much of anything unfortunately… kind of straightened some things out. I’m noticing that it’s connecting anchor points to handles. I’ve made sure there’s the same amount of points on each master

Start the Plugin Manager from the Window menu (G2 here), search and download the ‘Optimize Start Nodes’ plugin, then run it on each instance of ‘C’.

If this doesn’t help, go to each ‘C’, select the same (corner) node and use ‘Make Node First’ from the right-click menu.

Can you show a screenshot of each masters?

First…

it made me upload each separately sorry !

The lower terminal in the second image has two off-curve handles. These are not in the first and third master and thus the masters are incompatible. Consider removing the two handles on the second master.

1 Like

You could have spotted that because of the highlighted red segment in first screenshot.

I have same problem. I’ve followed tutorial and fixed a lot of problem but in some letters, I can’t move some anchors. I’m beginner and I just want to make some google font to variable ready.

You have to check the number of points on each contour. Start at the start node and hit tab until the blue connecting line is not aligned any more.

1 Like

Yes, italic letters have 2 more anchors. How can I make them exactly same in all letters? I can’t remove anchors by pen tool as illustrator. Backspace deletes them but breaks curves.

I solved it. I’ve removed points then fixed curves by controlling handles. :innocent: It looks fine. But three punctuation marks left and they look different. I think they are mirrors of left ones and can’t control anything on them. How can I fix them?

problem 1

The first three masters contain a component, the last three contain outlines.