Issue when exporting to outlines

Hi,

I have an issue with a typeface I designed using Glyphs. The problem doesn’t directly pertain to Glyphs, but I thought someone here might know how to solve it. Apologies if it’s too far off-topic.

But:

When the typeface is converted to outlines (for a logo) it appears significantly bolder. This occurs whether the original is in TTF or OTF format and from both Illustrator and InDesign. I assume this has to do with hinting. Are there any work-arounds for this – in Glpyhs or elsewhere?

Thanks,

P

Yes. Once converted to outlines, there is no more hinting. But this only applies to screen rendering and in relatively small sizes.

It has to do with hinting but also with the different rasterizers used to render text and outlines. The later will draw a bit more color. If you compare the decomposed outlines to the font rendered in TextEdit, you will find the result quite similar because Apples text rasterizer is more like a generic outline rasterizer. Thats why, text looks a bit darker in Safari then on Windows browsers.

1 Like

Georg, mekkablue – thanks for your help. I’ve always wondered why text looks different in Safari!

Unfortunately the font needs to be outlined for a logo; do you have any ideas as to how this could be solved?

Best,

P

What exactly is the problem that needs solution? If you want to keep the hinting information, do not expand the font to outlines. If you want a very specific pixel rendering, do not use outlines. But if you want to keep it scalable and keep outlines, you will have to live with the fact that outline rendering will always vary in different output channels, and there is nothing you can do about it from within the font. Two different PDF renderers will deliver different pixel images.