Issues with corner components

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Make sure you have read the tutorial:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/reusing-shapes-corner-components

What you need here is changing the alignment. It is set in the info box of the corner. Click on the opposite arrow:
Screenshot

I did read the tutorial, several times.

I set the alignment for the outer edges on the opposite direction (for right corner component = left…), now they’re aligned proberly, what I don’t understand.
Yet when I try to move the corner components with the right and left anchor points, they still go crazy.

https://imgur.com/a/w46K3ve

Because these serifs have been turned upside down (I’m guessing the components have the flat sides down like a baseline serif), left becomes right and right becomes left.

When the two segments are not perpendicular, the (perpendicularly drawn) serif can either be aligned to the one segment or the other. But the software can only make a guess at what your intention is, of course. So in some cases you have to set scaling and alignment.

At first I want to thank you all for your help.
Yet, I still found no fix for my problems.

@eliason The components don’t have the flat side down. They have the flat side up.
@mekkablue They are drawn perpendicular. Do you see the attached images?

I still don’t understand, why do I have to set the alignment to the right, if it’s a left serif.

I was not saying they are not drawn perpendicularly, I was literally saying the opposite. But that is besides the point. I was trying to explain why corner components need an alignment in cases like this. Let me try again.

The corner node you attach a corner component to is between two path segments.

Whenever these two segments meet perpendicularly in the corner node, no alignment is necessary, you can just slip the corner component in as it is, because the orientation is clear.

What may not be clear is the mirroring of the component. If you need to mirror a left serif to be used in a right corner, then the direction, and left and right anchors need to change their meaning.

And if the segments around the corner (in the host path) are not perpendicular, which is the situation at the diagonal end of the V, it is also not clear which side of the corner component needs to align with the segment it merges into, and which side needs to be bent into its segment. The aligning and bending is done with the left and right anchors in relation to the origin.

Once a component is mirrored or transformed (i.e., anything else besides a +100%/+100% scale), the math becomes hairy. But using smart components, all you need to do is switch the alignment until it is the way you want it.

I think in this case, the corners are not mirrored (but could just as well be as they are symmetrical). But the “right” and “left” align assume a certain direction and orientation of the placement of the corner path in the corner glyphs. I’m sorry if the resulting behaviour is confusing.

@mekkablue Thanks for the detailed explanation and sorry for my misunderstanding.

The corner components are not mirrored. I created individual components for both sides: left and right.
The only problem that I have now is, that when I try to adjust the serif with left and right anchor points, the serifs go crazy. Before that, it looks fine.

Do I may need to adjust corner components on diagonal stems manually?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/24wmbc9mi/ (this time my imgur link got flagged as spam, therefore I had to choose a different image hoster)

This would be a ‘right’ anchor. The naming is not really great. It should be more like ‘in’ and ‘out’

1 Like

Ok, but isn’t it written in the tutorial that one should use right and left for the anchor names? I don’t understand why in and out would change anything about my problem.

Your anchor is on the ‘end’ of the corner path, so it needs to be called ‘right’. As I said there are certain assumptions about the position of the corner. Rotate it by 180 degree and it will make more sense.

He didn’t say you should use ‘in’ and ‘out’. He said that the ‘left’ and ‘right’ names are misfortunate, and ‘in’/‘out’ would have been better names in the UI.