Italic Angle

Hey Rainer, I can’t really show anything here, but my point is that things like x-height and slant have an influence over the offset of certain glyphs, ex:

• high x-height, moderate slant: Glyphs default will work rather well
  • low x-height, steep slant, or combination of both: the offset of capitals, lining figures, high punctuation etc might go past what a designer consider acceptable. You may push the point that what’s important is the fitting of lowercase, and that’s not necessarily a wrong choice, but it’s still a choice and one that the designer should be in control of.

Another example when you have varying x-heights in a family, you might still want to have the bounding box slanted from the same point, again, that should be a conscious choice depending on intended use, design features or production process.

A few months ago I made a little bit of research on several fonts to see if there was any consensus about this: I found a good number doing what Glyphs does by default, but an equally good number of fonts that use half cap-height as origin point (I might remember wrong but I think Font Bureau fonts are like this?), which again, depending on design or intended use, can be an equally good choice as half x-height. And also, a few cases where the pivot point was somewhere in between half x-height and half cap height, a solution that will center nothing but might provide an adequate result for all italic glyphs (again from memory, Proxima Nova is like this? maybe Roboto as well?).

Anyway I hope you see my point. If that is too niche to invest dev time I get it, especially because there are still workarounds, but I think it’s an interesting thing to discuss as it’s one of these where Glyphs maybe is a little bit too opinionated?

You still have the choice if you want something else but the default. You would only need to shift horizontally all glyphs at export, which can be done automatically with a Transform parameter.

1 Like