Kerning manually adjusted on instances

Hi, is there a way to adjust manually a kerning pair on an instance, instead of the interpolation?
(of course I can generate the instance and do the kern there, but if there’s a way to do it without creating a new file, would be great)

1 Like

Not at the moment. Interesting problem. I wonder if it could be done with a filter.

1 Like

Hey, did anything happen regarding this request? I have a situation where in the middle master I kern v, w and y under T, but in the Heavy master there’s no space so kern is zero there. This produces collision in the Bold instance on Tv Tw Ty. I really don’t want to add another master just to address this problem. I’d rather reduce the kern on the middle master, although reluctantly.

I usually got away with adjusting the kerning in the middle :wink:

You could add a custom kerning feature in the instance. Add an “kern” feature in Font Info > Features but leave it empty. then add a “Replace Feature” custom parameter in the Bold instance where you add code like: kern;pos T v 40;

1 Like

But that only affects that particular instance, right? It doesn’t interpolate to the rest?

That only effects that instance.
I forgot to explain that the values you set in that feature are on top of the values set in normal kerning.

1 Like

It seems to me this is a perfect case for a new feature – Custom Parameter Kern – that would act as master.

I’m thinking about this for some time…

1 Like

Hmmmm is it possible to make the kerning interpolation not linear? If we can draw a custom interpolation curve to guide it then it would be quite easy on the design side…but might be very hard on the technical side? I’m not sue how it could work for variable fonts.