Kerning pairs made easier

I love glyphs and have been using it for almost a year. I make a lot of hand-lettered fonts and almost all have unique forms. I also like really tight (1970s style) kerning. Kerning takes some time, but it’s not too bad especially now that I understand kerning groups and use mekkablue’s kerning group script. But recently I started playing around with an adobe illustrator plug in called FontSelf. It has its limits, but its kerning pair recommendation panel and its smart kerning option are really amazing even in their beta stage. With the press of a button it gets you about 90%-95% finished with kerning. Currently I’m trying to develop a workflow that uses both, but it will probably be a bit clunky. It would be great if Glyphs ahd an option or script that works like the FontSelf smart kerning option. (I still need to look at kernkraft, maybe some others too, to see if they work like fontself’s smart kerning.)

Have you seen this: https://kern-on.com

I’ll have a look at the fontSelf kerning tool.

2 Likes

I have not. I will check it out. Thanks!

I watched the video, and I think this is exactly what I’m looking for. It looks better than the built in smart kerning in FontSelf. Thanks again.

1 Like