Kerning

how i use kerning as vertical kerning with some glyphs?

Is there a term called Vertical Kerning ?
Maybe in Japanese :wink:
What about using Entry & Exit Anchors ?

Avantino is right. Vertical kerning is only for vertical scripts like Mongolian. I suppose this is not what you want.

You can move glyphs vertically with GPOS features. Can you explain what you like to do?

It difficult for anyone to explain everything … especially if you explain to someone who does not know anything about him so much: The worst of it does not speak the same language in order to pick the appropriate vocabulary for talking like this

To everyone watching this manuscript From here Arabic Fonts begins .

The question here is : how much you will need Kerning here?! vertical and horizontal kerning is the backbone of Arabic Fonts

The sample for this thread:

aldhabi font

Diwan Company Fonts Which was revealed recently with the package iwork on mac - Arabic Fonts -

The first image looks like calligraphy. I don’t think it is possible to do that with Opentype. The second images uses a lot cursive attachment but shows a lot holes where it would be nice to have kerning. But unfortunately this is the biggest limitation of OpenType. There is no sane way to add kerning there. It is highly contextual and depends on the “height” of the following word. So you would need to add a kerning pair for every combination of all words in the arabic language. DecoType by Thomas Milo offers solutions for this. But it requires a plugin to use the fonts in Indesign.

this is diwanee font its arabic font programmed in ms volt with vertical kerning .

pls see this vedio

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tc4utnvcpk1m3o/VerticalKerning.mov

Again, the term ‘vertical kerning’ refers to something else, namely kerning for vertical scripts, between bottom and top sidebearings. What you are showing here are GPOS rules with a y offset, but for an RTL script.

I could not load the movie. But what I see in the picture, you can do with contextual kerning (for the syntax, refer to the AFDKO Feature file specification, look for samples with value record format B), or with cursive attachment. But the possibilities in OpenType are indeed limited. You can get relatively far on the word level, but it gets very complicated very quickly, especially if you have alternating forms and marks, and the GPOS table will quickly become too large.

Sir mekka blue in this case, what should put it on the kern table?

A contextual pos rule (explained in the tutorial) with values in record format B (explained on the Adobe page) instead of single values: <0 0 -20 300> would leave the first glyph where it is (move x=0 y=0) but change the position of the cursor for the following glyph further up (advance x=-20 y=+300).

I know the syntax looks scary at first but once you got the hang of it, it is not that difficult, really.