Let's say I wanted to hint manually

Where did “View > Hinting” go?

Do I must add glyphs in the same order for all masters so they can interpolate?

Why often when you add a hint, it is created at the very top or bottom of the glyph, way out of sight? And not at the point where you right-clicked?

Could hints (in the future) be made to snap to stems as in FL?

And could they (itf) be generated automatically in Edit view so that they could be adjusted manually?

First, you should leave hinting as far as possible to the autohinter. Manual hinting should only be done for exceptions.

Select two nodes on either side of the stem, then right-click and add hints, and you get a stem hint. Do the same with only one selected node, and you get a ghost hint. They already do. Drag the blue circle to the left/bottom node, and the triangle to the right/top node.

PS: A detailed blogpost about manual hinting is in the works.

Thats so cool, didn't know it.

For snapping, I meant as in smart guides etc. Auto-alignment from a certain distance.

So there’s no order for hints? And what about hint view?

There are only very few places where manual hinting can improve the result of the autohinter.

it is very important to set the zones and stems correctly (the blog post will explain this in detail).

And as long as you attach the hints to nodes, you only need to add hints in the first master. They are used for all interpolated instances.

In relation to small caps. Should there also be alignment zones for them so they auto hint correctly a well?

If you have small caps it is a good idea to add a zone for small caps. Add a custom parameter “smallCapHeight” to the master and then click the round arrow button at the top right corner of the alignment zones. This will add a zone for small caps automatically.

1 Like

I’m working on a project which I have a different height for the default (lining) numbers (different from CapHeight). It’s a client decision, so I can’t change it. Do I need this "smallCapHeight” parameter to create an alignment zone for the numbers or can I just add a different zone for them (without the parameter)? Will I have technical problems with this?

Just add another zone. But make sure the zones are not touching. Very bad things are going to happen otherwise.

1 Like

Thanks Georg, that was one of my doubts. But you mean really not touching (like on the image) or not overlapping 1 unit?

1 unit distance between them if BlueFuzz is zero. Otherwise 1+2*BlueFuzz distance. See the tutorial:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/hinting-postscript-autohinting

(Scroll down a little.)

1 Like

Thanks!! Stay safe guys!

1 Like