Looking for: Hinting tutoring

TrueType Hinting in Glyphs 3: Zoom session

Please make sure you have:

• read the TrueType Hinting tutorial, and
  • installed the mekkablue scripts through Window > Plugin Manager > Scripts (requires the vanilla and Python modules).

Reserve approx 30min. I will show a suggested workflow for a Latin Sans, you can ask questions at any time. Zoom link will be published here a half hour before we start. Will hand out a demo file through the Zoom chat, so you can follow what I do on the screen.

Here are my possible time slots. Please pick all the time slots at which you can (and would want to) show up (multiple choices possible) and make sure you compare your time zone with CET (Central European Time). The time slot with the most votes wins.

TrueType Hinting: Zoom Session on 2021-01-28T23:00:00Z
  • 14:00 CET
  • 16:00 CET
  • 18:00 CET
  • 20:00 CET

0 voters

If you are not sure about the time difference, try one of the many online tools available (e.g. Google or the TZ Converter), or ask Siri 'What time is it in Vienna?’

So we have a winner. See you Friday, January 29, 2021 1:00 PM (hover over the time to see it in different time zones).

Bookmark this thread, I will paste the Zoom invitation here approx 10 minutes before.

8 Likes

Would it be possible to record this tutorial and upload it afterwards somewhere?

Publicly: difficult, I would need every participant’s legally binding consent. Maybe I am overcautious, but I had minor trouble with this before. And somebody else would have to take care of the recording because I’ll be too busy and will forget. Maybe if someone just records it for you?

1 Like

Follow this link in the following 10 min please. See you in in the Zoom meeting!

1 Like

Thank you Rainer so much! Thank you all for showing your interest. I will prepare the recordings asap.

7 Likes

Thank you very much, Rainer.

1 Like

Rayner, that was awesome but I do have a question and I didn t have time to ask it. Related with what you were saying about hinting only one master in a MM font. Is the process of placing the deltas in the intermediate instances very time consuming? Or is this “hint only one master” thing a specific from working with Glyphs3 and other workflows are different? Once I asked for a quote to someone to hint one of my fonts and that person gave me a figure based in the number of instances of my font. Was I being scammed by my own friend??? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks Rainer! I don’t know if the topic was covered by the time I joined, but here are my recommended ways to test hinting without Windows:

• Windows emulators like Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.
    Pro: Transferring fonts is much easier since it’s on the same machine as your Mac.
    Con: Not a light option. Asks you quite a bit of your hard drive space, and memory while it’s running.

• BrowserStack or CrossBrowserTesting
    (Paid service but sends you browser screenshots of different Ones and browsers. Good for OpenType testing too)
    Pro: Lets you test many environments. I loved it when my company used to cover the cost.
    Con: It’s paid. And you need to make a dummy html to test (doesn’t have to be online, the service can visit your local html)

• Buy a Windows PC, a cheap one like this will do. (It’s a stick PC that asks very small amount of your living space)
    Pro: Small and cheap ones are getting very cost effective, and doesn’t pollute your Mac with overkill install size. (Search term is “mini PC” or “Stick PC” if you want other similar options.)
    Con: It’s a separate machine that asks for another monitor. And it’s harder to test in different OS setups.

I’ve tried all of them, and my current option is the 3rd (not that exact machine though). If I have more budget, my preferred is the 2nd.

10 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial, Rainer!

1 Like

Just missed it, any chance for a recording?

4 Likes

Definitely interested!

@dotlesshyphen @all
Here is the unedited video in two parts as is happened:
https://we.tl/t-8HrmLfrJHf

It will be deleted in one week so hurry :).

—
@iyadhgallah you have the video of the workshop up here

14 Likes

Thank you sandro!!

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks a lot Sandro!

Thank you Sandro!

Thanks Sandro!

Missed the window! Any chance someone reuploads the mp4?

Hi! I missed the download window, can you reupload the video? Thank you so much =) !!