MakeOTF Error because of a class that seems fine to me


#1

Hey people,

I ran into a problem I can’t seem to solve.
I have an uppercase only typeface, so the letters have double unicodes (UC & LC).
I just added Greek to the mix for which I wrote a calt feature that uses classes for proper substitution — no tonos-accented letters and dieresis after an accented vowel blabla.
I created the following classes:
GreekUC
Greek_UC_accented
Greek_UC_unaccented
Greek_Vowel_accented
Greek_Vowel_Iota_Upsilon
Greek_Vowel_Dialytika

I used that feature and classes before and worked just fine.

The features compile perfectly fine but when I try to export OTFs there is an infamous MakeOTF error.
—> Error: “syntax error at “Beta” [features.fea 48” in Class GreekUC in line: 1

The class does not contain anything that is not in the file.
Looked at the fea file in the temp folder. Couldn’t find a problem.
Deleted everything in the temp folder because … you never know. I guess.
At some point I thought maybe it could be because of the double unicodes. That didn’t solve the problem either.

Disabling the class and the feature that uses them, makes the export work. But Greek without a proper substitution feature in a caps only font isn’t really working. As far as I understand.

Am I giving enough information to solve my problem?

Please feel free to point out the super obvious mistake that I can’t see right now.

Every kind of help is hugely appreciated!


#2

It could indicate that the problem is immediately before the Beta in the GreekUC class. Also, see: https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/troubleshooting-a-font-that-does-not-export


#3

What is right before Beta in the feature code?


#4

This is what’s happening in line 48 in the feature.fea file:
@GreekUC = [Alpha Beta Gamma Delta Epsilon Zeta Eta Theta Iota Kappa Lambda Mu Nu Xi Omicron Pi Rho Sigma Tau Upsilon Phi Chi Psi Omega Alphatonos Epsilontonos Etatonos Iotatonos Omicrontonos Upsilontonos Omegatonos Iotadieresis Upsilondieresis
];

this what the generateFont.command says:
#!/bin/sh
cd “/Users/PNE/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Temp/RainerTestv03-Hairline”
“/Applications/Glyphs_2.6.app/Contents/PlugIns/OTF.glyphsFileFormat/Contents/Resources/makeotfGlyphs” -f font.pfa -mf FontMenuNameDB -ff features.fea -overrideMenuNames -o /Users/PNE/Desktop/RainerTestv03-Hairline.otf -osbOn 6 -fs -gf GlyphOrderAndAliasDB -r


#5

God damnit!
I have two batches of instances. One with everything and one with a subset. I did not yet update the Custom Parameters with the greek classes and calt feature for the subset batch.

Sorry!

Thanks for the help anyway!