Manual for TrueType hinting?

Is there a manual for TrueType manual hinting?

I’m trying to set anchor points to the same height,
is there an option for anchor points just like for TTFStems?

The manual is coming soon. Not sure I understand the question.

1 Like

The Rhodium Libre source file is quite thoroughly hinted with Glyphs: https://github.com/DunwichType/RhodiumLibr

1 Like

Thanks!
The correct URL:

I’m having issues when I try to align overshoots to flat letters (i.e letters O and X),
how/where do I control it? I’ve added anchor points on top of each letter but it doesn’t seem to help.

Try doubling your overshoot values (alignment zones). I’ve found that Directwrite often fails to surpress overshoots correctly if the zones don’t extend far beyond the points within them.

The overshot is closely controlled by the instructions.
Do you have Alignment Zones and proper vertical metrics?
If you can’t figure it out, can you send me the .glyphs file and some screenshots?

+1 re: the documentation for the TT hinting features in v.2.x.

Would it be possible to post a brief blog article or tutorial to get users started with the new manual TTF hinting and ttfautohint features until the full documentation is available in the v2.0 manual? Even a simple screenshot that demonstrates how to use ttfautohint via the custom instance parameters would be useful (e.g. it is not clear whether you need to specify both the autohint parameter [checked] along with the ttfautohint command line option parameter).

Thanks much!

1 Like

I can send an advanced handbook chapter (missing screenshots) to those who desperately need it. The text of the TT hinting chapter is pretty much finished.

EDIT: Contact me by DM on this forum (so we do not clutter this thread).

3 Likes

That would be great! Let me know if you need my email or plan to place it somewhere where I can retrieve it.

EDIT: emailed you at your schriftlabor.at account. I don’t think I have permissions for DM on the forum yet. Thanks again! -C

1 Like

Good, I’m waiting for the new handbook, I found the old one very usefull. Thank you

Interesting, do you also have some screenshots?
I am trying to understand some of the commands at the moment (especially the “e” and “k”, blue and purple hints, as well as (not) using stem values) and wanted to see how they behave on a Windows machine.