Merging glyphs?

I’m playing with the trial for Glyphs and being new to font making I am struggling a bit. I am trying to create an icon font using icons I’ve put into several font files. But I now want to merge them down into one file and put them in separate layers. For example: I have a set of Global icons that I want on one layer and a set of Form icons I want on a separate layer. That way I can keep everything visually separate and easy for people I work with that will use this font. This is a font I am using for websites that I built for clients and can make my development and design process more streamlined. Can anyone help?

I’m not sure what you trying to do. Do you have a screenshot of the final result?

But I now want to merge them down into one file and put them in separate layers.

Fonts dont’t have layers.

I suppose this is a misunderstanding of the layers in Glyphs. They are there only for keeping variations of your letters/dingbats (check out the video tutorials for more info), but in the final font file, only the main layer will show up.

If you want to put icons on top of each other, either keep them in different files or in different stylistic sets of glyphs. For this to work, you can use the .ss01 (.ss02, .ss03… .ss20) extension in your glyph names, e.g. A, A.ss01 and A.ss02. In InDesign, you’d have to duplicate the text box and change the stylistic set. XPress does not support stylistic sets.