Messed up rendering of variable font with special layers on Adobe vs. Web

Hello, world!

I have one issue with the rendering of a variable font with special layers [in this case bracket layers] on the Adobe CC software compared with the web rendering.

In the blackest masters, the design of $ is meant to avoid a crossbar, whereas in the lightest it should stay. Seemingly the $ is compatible in the Glyphs 3 and is being exported fine.
(I have put Enforce Compatibility Check on Font Info).

When I test it on the web it shows perfect results — tested both on Dinamodarkroom and Axis-Praxis.

But when working on Adobe (tested on Illustrator and Photoshop) the resulting font is only with the crossbar.

Do you know if this is a problem caused by the Adobe rendering and thus the designers could not fix it, or there is a workaround?
Of course, the easiest solution is to get rid completely of any crossbar even in the lightest masters, but this is obviously a compromisable solution.

Thank you in advance!

What version of Glyphs do you have?
You might need to add a Feature for Feature Variations parameter with the value rlig.

I added Feature for Feature Variations parameter into Font Info but with the value rlig it showed the same output.
However, when adding the parameter and the default value rvrn — it works!

I am working currently on Glyphs 3.0.3 (3078).

Thanks a lot!

I strongly advice agains using the rvrn feature. Its description sound like it would be a meant for this but it isn’t. It is, per spec, always applied at the beginning and so you can’t have variation for glyphs that are only accessed by features (like small caps). I’m certain that rlig works in the latest Adobe apps. And can you try the latest cutting edge version of Glyphs?

Alright, seems legit, but I see the proper result with rvrn, under certain conditions, sadly.
I upgraded Glyphs to 3.0.3 (3083), my Illustrator is now updated to the latest version and exported the file with rlig. Unfortunately, it still shows the crossbar of $ in the blackest positions.

Whereas, when exported with rvrn I can see the result at least, when there is being selected a Latin-based language or Greek. But when I switch to any Cyrillic based language (in Illustrator I can select between Bulgarian, Russian or Ukrainian) the dollar appears with a crossbar.

For the screenshot I selected Bulgarian:

Seems like other OpenType features do not affect its behaviour, but LOCL does.

What do you recommend doing in this case?

We’ll have a look.

1 Like

Nikolay, can you send the .glyphs file to support at this domain? You can use Disguiser if necessary, I’m only interested in how bracket layers and features are set up.

1 Like

Thank you, Grzegorz, I sent you the file.

Hello!
Was this problem ever resolved? I’m having the exact same issue.
Adding Feature for Feature Variations parameter with the value `rvrn’ fixes my variable font display in Illustrator. But if I add ‘rlig’ as the value instead, it no longer works properly.