Metrics problem

[Glyphs 2.6.4 (1280)]

Hi! I have a problem with my metric keys. For my base glyphs (the ones to which I refer from other glyphs) I use e.g. “=10”, to make sure the app warns me if I move a glyph by accident or I change something in its components which affects the sidebearings.

Recently I noticed the app started to ignore such equations in some instances – if I shift the glyph, the sidebearings shows “=10 (-10)” but doesn’t highlight it as incorrect nor updates it if I choose to update the metrics.

I attached a .glyphs file where this happens. I tested it on two different machines and two different Glyphs versions and the problem persists. I believe there’s something wrong with the file?

I would really appreciate any help and I hope I’m not missing something here. Thanks!

test.glyphs (8.3 KB)

I fixed it.

Thank you Georg! I’ll wait for the update.

Hello Georg,
I’m on the latest cutting edge version, but still having problems with this. The right metric key is set to -10, the actual value is 0, but Glyphs doesn’t update it nor highlights it in red.

Weird thing – this works for most of my glyphs.

Thank you.

Can you send me the file?

I just realized – this only happens if the value after the equal sign is a negative number.
Test.glyphs (6.8 KB)

Thanks for the reminder. I had fixed that in a different branch but it didn’t make it into release.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you.

That message may come from a third party plugin or script. I don’t believe it’s a Glyphs message. What did you do right before seeing the message?

@composerjk Yes, I think so, Because this happens every time I use the “Resolve all metrics” plugin. Before I see this message I just make glyphs and add some spacing as usual.

Take a look at the Window > Macro Panel (Option-Command-M). The log output from the plugin is likely in the bottom half of the Macro Panel. That might give some hints on where the issue may be located.

Unfortunately, there is nothing at the bottom of the Macro Panel, that’s what confused me.

You might send a feature request for to improve the error message on the “Resolve all metrics” GitHub repo.

1 Like