MetricsMachine importing problems

OS 10.6.8, Glyphs build 1.4.3 b575

I’m having trouble importing my kerning from MetricsMachine.

File->Import->Metrics is greyed out (Also Outlines, BTW). I exported UFO from MM and opened thatin Glyphs. Then I copied everything from the kerning window and pasted that into the target Glyphs file. I still can’t see the kerning taking effect. Individual glyphs are not belonging to any kerning groups after the copy.

I have 4500 kerning pairs in this case. I could export the feature file with subtable breaks, but the import in Glyphs is grey as I mentioned.

This is because the group settings are not identical. Before pasting kerning, you need to duplicate groups in the target font. Importing kerning group can only be done via mekkablue’s python script, which is Metrics > “Steal kerning groups from font”. If you haven’t installed any of his scripts and want help with it, please let me know.

I have the scripts installed, along with the needed Python extensions.

I’m not sure what you mean by duplicating groups in the target font. There are no groups in the target font at the moment.

I tried to run the steal kerning script, but nothing happens. I have both source and target font open and all glyphs selected in the active target font when I try to run the script.

Just noticed that the sudo command (sudo rsync -aE 2.7/site-packages/* 2.6/site-packages/) returned an error:

rsync: link_stat “/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/*” failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-40/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]

I had run the Python 2.7 installer, without errors. Library/Python -folder doesn’t contain the 2.7 folder (not sure if it should), only 2.6 and some other previous versions. Could that be the reason for things not working?

Sorry if my language wasn't clear. Copying pairs isn't enough, because you aren't copying kerning group information during that. You need to import kerning group separately from the source font, and before copying pairs.

Glyphs uses 2.6, not 2.7. It doesn’t matter if the 2.7 folder doesn’t exist. What matters is what you have under 2.6 folder. Do you have Vanilla installed?

On 10.6 there is only python2.6. You need to be in the Font view to import metrics. And select the glyphs that you what to import the metrics into. It will import the kerning and the classes.

I have:

robofab-1.2-py2.6
vanilla-0.1-py2.6
DialogKit

But more importantly, the import works! All looks good now. Phew, many thanks guys!

One question though, do I need to make an OT kern feature in Glyphs and do I need to worry about the subtable breaks at all?

You do not need to worry about subtable breaks. At least not that I know of ;).
You are not allowed to make your own kern feature [edit: for the regular kerning] . It will be generated on export. You can check the result in the Temp folder. How to find it is examined here: http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/troubleshooting-a-font-that-does-not-export

Kern feature will be generated on export, so you don’t need to do anything. You can make a kerning feature though, only if you want to bother contextual kerning.
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/contextual-kerning

Yeah just making sure…

I’m still wondering why that steal script doesn’t evoke any actions and if I have the Python and extensions installed correctly, but I’ll start another thread if I get to any more problems. Thanks again for the quick help.

The steal script should only set the left and right kerning groups of the glyphs. Prima vista it will not change much visibly, unless you go into the Font tab and set it to List view. There, you can see left/right group columns. They should be the same in both fonts now.