My stolen fonts on 2 sites

I found two sites with thievery content some days ago. I found there 4 my font with a free download.
I also wrote several authors, they also confirmed that their fonts were placed there illegally. It seems that these sites consist entirely of stolen fonts.
The support service for both sites has not reacted in any way.
edit: links removed
Maybe anyone will find their own fonts there. Authors how do you deal with this?

Try not to lose too much sleep over it, then start with a takedown notice, here.
https://www.whoishostingthis.com/resources/dmca/

It is not an easy battle to win sometimes and can get quite expensive.

2 Likes

I’ve set some google alerts with my own fonts names. This way I receive alerts every time a new illegal sharing site puts online them. I’ve also stored as templates a couple of DMCA emails.
These people see if you’re actively disrupting their work and stop uploading your fonts as “not worth” for them.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. Can you tell me how do you set some google alerts for your fonts?

1 Like

just google it :stuck_out_tongue:
1st result

How did they steal your font? Did you upload it anywhere or Glyphs app has a malicious backdoor so they steal users fonts?
Do you have any malwares on your computer?

I don’t have any malwares on my computer and it’s all ok with my Glyphs.
Fonts were stolen from the site where I sell them.

Then someone bought your fonts just to rehost them in many other sites for illegal profit (assuming your website has security implemented correctly, the criminal would have to buy the fonts first).
I would suggest you to send a dmca complaint to google and possible other indexers, so they remove the page from searching, also looking for dmca complaints towards those sites where it has your font. In the worst case scenario, if they dont agree with removing your content, reporting to the whois from each site, from that point onwards a lawyer would probably be required for correctly lawsuits and compensation.

If you have info of the buyer, that would be easier for direct sue.

1 Like

This site you mentioned is hosted by GoDaddy. They have an official copyright complaint, so the more people write them the sooner they will remove the offending site. I would suggest to contact the copyright holders, gather up and write a Complaint/Cease & Desist to GoDaddy.

https://uk.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=TRADMARK_COPY&prog_id=&regionsite=uk&marketid=en=GB

Not only the fonts websites, the web-fonts purchased by the clients for their business or personal sites, are easily gotten by smart hackers by middle of inspecting tools or console.

I contacted Monotype, Fontshop and MyFonts that I purchased a web-font for my site and I wanted to protect it from being hacked by smart hackers and they have said there is no way to protect the web-fonts, then if with PHP. I decided to switch to open-source fonts, so they are not interested in the open-source fonts.

Do not sell to Fontshop, Fontspring and MyFonts. Sell to Typekit which is the safest because the clients will use only ASP/JavaScript files to load fonts and the fonts are very difficult to be found in the inspecting tools, i the search and in the console.

Build your shop site and put complete address, complete name and ID number (recommended). Use ASP, PHP and Python. ASP is ideal to protect the fonts. When the clients purchase your fonts, you will receive the purchase e-mail with all details. Then you will contact them, jut say them that you have all their details, and if they re-host them illegally, you will sue them.

Three disadvantages:

• You live in a country and they live in another country. In other countries, they do not use American hosts and you have to speak to host managers in their native language and there is no use to speak to them in English, then there is no use and way to sue them. You have to contact an ambassador of their country and hire an international lawyer. The cost is highly expensive.
  • If you are American and a Venezuelan user purchases your web-font in his country, then there is no use and way to sue because Venezuela has banned American diplomats.
  • It is worthless to sue the African users or sites because the black movements, the left and the liberals will accuse you and you will become the target of several news sites.

To avoid these disadvantages, blacklist the countries IPs, using Apache or htaccess. Maybe ask Typekit if it is possible to blacklist the countries from purchasing your fonts.

The hackers don’t have to be very smart. Everything that is on a website can be downloaded.

Why is that your concern as a customer? If Monotype is not concerned, that’s their problem, not yours.

Sorry, that’s bullshit.

[quote=“gusbemacbe, post:11, topic:7869, full:true”]When the clients purchase your fonts, you will receive the purchase e-mail with all details. Then you will contact them, jut say them that you have all their details, and if they re-host them illegally, you will sue them.
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess you want to make sure they won’t be buying from you again. Always a bad idea to threaten your paying customers.

Maybe just don’t publish your fonts, that’s the safest method.

4 Likes

If like, Typekit wouldn’t be safe.

Icons8 team has already threatened many customers with DMCA complaints and they continue buying and purchasing.

And say it to @rorona, so she suggested:

Didn’t you hear of DuckDuckGo , @rorona? They will refuse to remove the indexers, because they do not support censorship. There’s no way and use to sue them.

Sorry, my words were a bit harsh …

It’s not safe. It’s as easy as you described to download a font from TypeKit through the Web Inspector browser functions. You get a woff2 (depending on your browser) which can be decompressed to a desktop font, or used on another website as-is.

[quote=“gusbemacbe, post:13, topic:7869, full:true”]

Icons8 team has already threatened many customers with DMCA complaints and they continue buying and purchasing.

And say it to @rorona, so she suggested:

[quote=“rorona, post:8, topic:7869”]
if they dont agree with removing your content, reporting to the whois from each site, from that point onwards a lawyer would probably be required for correctly lawsuits and compensation.

If you have info of the buyer, that would be easier for direct sue.
[/quote][/quote]

Of course you can go after people who re-upload your webfonts on unauthorized sites. But as it is easy to download the fonts from properly licenced sites, and nothing can effectively be done to make it impossible, it’s not the fault of your paying customer if someone pulls the font from their site. So to threaten them would be rather pointless, if not damaging to your business relationships.

Yeah i know it’s impossible to stop them, but still, google is the most used i think, and they remove with dmca complaint, this maybe help to mitigate illegal buyers. But yes i understand that you can’t stop 100%.