Naming in MS Word and Adobe

Hi there

I have a question and i apologize if there had been a post about it previously, i couldn’t find it.

I’m working on an existing font which has ten instants plus italics. I have to make the third weight “Light” to appear in MS Word as “Regular” but to stay Light in Adobe applications.

I tried naming the fonts for MS Word with ID1 and ID2 (style linked here the RIBBI) and different names for adobe applications with ID16 and ID17 and when installed in MS Word the “fake” regular doesn’t appear. When i install only the uprights it is ok (i tested them with different names so there was no problem with the cache)

Is it possible to have different name in adobe apps and MS Word and is it possible to corrupt my file by giving it different names in the different IDs?

Did you read this: https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/naming

Yes i did and i did as it follows, used ID1 and ID2 for MS word and ID16 and ID17 for adobe. I used and ID21 and ID22 (set same as ID16 and ID17) which helped in MS Word, but it still troubles me in some apps like TextEdit the Regular do not appear.

This is a bad idea, because, among other things, you also need to get the weight class in sync, which is not possible this way, because you can only have one single weight class per font. And you are confusing all the systems that try to parse the style names, such as macOS. It is probably better to have different font families in this case. Why do you need to have different style names in word and indesign in the first place? Which problem are you trying to solve this way?

I work on a font that is already in use, but a client want to use the Light weight in MS Word as Regular (default) and the Bold and Italic to be linked. The easiest thing is just to style link the Light as Regular but MS word will display it “Myfont name Light” and the default weight for this font will still be Regular without style linking (as MS word will take always Regular-ID2 as default weight ), and because of that i tried to rename the IDs to change the default weight in MS Word.

I guess the safest way will be to have different font families, i was just wondering if there is some way to do it in one font family.

Yes. When I do something like this, I call one ‘Xxxx Office’, the other ‘Xxxx Pro’.

Thanks!

Normally you shouldn’t need to do anything, Glyphs will make the Windows RIBBI (id 1+2) and typo values (id 16+17) automatically.

1 Like