Naming is really so difficult?

I want to name a Chinese font. but, it’s not shown.
I add localizedfamilyname, ROS set to Adobe-GB1-5. no work.
Anything else to do?
Glyphs is really a great software, but compared to fontforge, naming in Glyphs is a nightmare
I’m sorry to say so, but I want to laugh out loud after so many tests and long time (driving me mad).

By the way, after installation, it can be used in photoshop, but, in Word or WPS ,it’s not working . Font created on Mac, installed on Win7.
I used to make same fonts with fontforge, after installed, it can be used both in PS and Word/WPS.

same with this:
https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/how-to-set-parameter-if-i-want-to-use-chinese-as-the-familyname-of-my-exported-font/13339/5

I input “4 3 1 2052;ChineseFullName” for name enty table. no work.
The last to be worried becomes a headache of Glyphs.
Oh, G o d.

Try it
4 3 1 2052;中文名称
ChineseFullName这个地方是要替换成你的中文名

谢谢,但是毫无变化。
thanks. but no luck
同时,生成的字体字ps中可以使用,也可以在wps中使用(不显示字体中文名),但是不能在word里使用(却可以中文名)

Stupid enough to insist on using Glyphs to change it . I spent hours to find the solution.
While…Use fontforge to open the font generated and change it and in few minutes, it’s done.
Apprantly. the name used for chinese is just “family” , but not Preferred/localized family or Full name.
无标题

Can you send me the .glyphs file, the exported font and the font you fixed in FontForge? That should help me to advise a solution or to fix it in Glyphs.

以我原来使用Glyphs2的经验告诉你,只是添加NameID=4 并不能正确生效,要多添加些属性( name - Naming table (OpenType 1.9) - Typography | Microsoft Docs),才会真正的生效,如下图,所以我后续就不用Glyphs来设置中文名了,自己做了一个工具直接修改了。

谢谢 bytes。这本是个微不足道的基本小问题。但是,我已经不想浪费时间来解决它了。
使用Glyph生成的字体,用fontforge打开后,稍微修改一下,再导出字体就解决了各种疑难杂症,几分钟的事。不过,相关测试文件还是会提交给售后技术服务,他们能解决就解决。

sure. i will send you some test files later. But, i’m afraid it will be difficult task for you since you don’t have Asian language system to test it.
Problem before using fontforge to correct it:
1, Chinese name can not be shown in the file, instead it’s just latin letters.
2, In photoshop, in font name list,it’s just latin letters, but it can be used.
3, In WPS, in font name list,it’s just latin letters, but it can be used…
4, In Word,in font name list, it’s empty and can NOT be used.
5, Fonts not designed can NOT be replaced by system default font in WPS. automatically . (Maybe somewhere to set parameters in Glyphs)

After regeneration through fontforge:
1, Chinese name can be shown in font file.
2, In the font list of PS, Word, WSP, it’s Chinese too, and font can be used normally.
3, Fonts not designed can be replaced by system default font automatically in WPS. (no extra setting in fontforge)

All problems gone.

All test files needed.
new.zip (2.0 MB)

This morning, when i made the test file and remove the font discription filed,leaving it empty.A popup message saying that it shouldn’t be empty. So, i added few words again.
But after that, chinese font name can be shown immediately no matter how i change it.
Did it trigger something now or not trigger something before? God.

For each field, i entered some words for localization, so that i can know which parts are linked. So, you can see “export” for export tab parameters, and “in file” for the filed under “font-localized family”, etc.
I made a little comparision, and found that some part might be wrongly linked, see pics attached.
Second, if the file is totally made by fontforge from scratch. Words not designed will be shown and replaced by default system font in the font file view and WPS under windows 7. While, in font made by Glyphs it’s not. Did i miss something?
Third, Glyph use localized name in Export tab to generate a font name, it’s not shown when it’s Chinese. It’s shown as ???, see pic attached. So, linking might not be right.

Second, if the file is totally made by fontforge from scratch. Words not designed will be shown and replaced by default system font in the font file view and WPS under windows 7. While, in font made by Glyphs it’s not. Did i miss something?

I assume that the glyphs are there but empty in Glyphs, and you did not have those glyphs at all in FontForge.

Which Windows app is this?

If the font is design by fontforge, there is no such worry. So, export tab or font infor tab in Glyphs about chinese font naming might have bugs.

Reason found: not designed glyphs are exported as space. Just design the glyph or delete it if the glyph is not to be used. Thanks.

Possible reason for the originally posted problem: G2 used to auto-generate localised style name when the localised family name was present, but G3 doesn’t.

I think I fixed it.

That’s good news. I will check it in the upper-coming version if updated.
By the way, when will you update the fixing for “imported svg not correctly placed to its designed postion” that reported months before.

In this top (you said it will in little bigger update ):
https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/not-found-what-does-this-mean-when-importing-shapes/20082