Naming the Alignment Zones

Plus the Baseline zone, which is required. So that gives a total possible BlueValues entries of 14, or 7 zones.

OtherBlues is an optional entry, so the Baseline zone should not be included when counting the number of potential zones, to avoid confusion. The maximum for OtherBlues is 10 pairs, or 5 zones, one or more of which can actually affect glyphs above the baseline.

Glyphs apparently has a way to determine which numbers go where (BlueValues or OtherBlues) based on the outlines. If not, then a Custom Parameter entry would be needed so the user can add them.

You are right, my mistake. Glyphs converts the size entry to a Postscript value which is what my thought process was stuck on. Georg just made it easier for the user.

I agree. It’s a lot better to see the zone size value and be able to move it up or down with the other position.

It would be very helpful to see the direction of the alignment zones too. A little upward arrow on the baseline zone, for example, to indicate that overshoots are pushed upwards there would quickly show if any of the values have the wrong polarity.

Normally the zones are next to a metrics line and that shows the edge where to the points will be rounded.

But if the alignment zone is upside-down, that is currently not indicated, right?

And we don’t have metrics lines for numerals, superscripts, accents or any other scripts not the same dimensions as Latin. We may want to align those things.

1 Like

Right now, there is no indication for those zones that are not at a metics line. Can you make a sketch how you like it best?

1 Like

And we don’t have metrics lines for numerals, superscripts, accents or any other scripts not the same dimensions as Latin. We may want to align those things.

Yes. That is limiting!
Perhaps fake it with –

• If you have small caps, you may want to add the custom parameter smallCapHeight and enter their height as parameter value.
  • For Indic and Arabic fonts, you can add a shoulderHeight parameter for an additional alignment zone.

Something like this?

2 Likes

Hmm. Down arrow for a top zone?

What about a little triangle or half circle, reminiscent of an overshooting lettershape?

Arrows are already in use like this for ghost hints, I thought the idea was they’re showing where outlines will end up after hints are applied?

Maybe drawing a line at the base edge?

I think a hard line at the rounding edge, darker value of the same hue that the zone is colored, would work well.

1 Like

You and I understand the logic, but it is likely too confusing for most users. In the ghost hints, the triangular arrows point the other way, too.

I think the line is a better idea.

1 Like

Well, it’s kind of necessary to understand the logic, if trying to set alignment zones. But as long as the directionality is clear it doesn’t matter to me whether it’s arrows, lines, stars or space rockets :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lines are best; keep the interface clean.

And if someone likes arrow there are always reporter plugins :wink:

1 Like

Directionality of alignment zones is a tricky thing, because ‘top’ zones will actually pull nodes up to the upper edge of the zone. That’s also why the baseline zone is a top zone**, (overshoots need to be pulled up to the baseline). So I think displaying arrows on the zones may add to the confusion. +1 for lines on the ‘flat’ edge.

** or in PS Type 1 speak, a member of BlueValues instead of Other Blues

I fond the Ghost Hint arrows in Glyphs confusing as they appear to run in reverse to what they are supposed to be instructing.

1 Like

Is there a way to set Top Zones and Bottom Zones?