Need to manually reorder paths over and over

I frequently have to go through my files and manually reorder the paths in multi-path glyphs (like diereses, hungarumlauts, percents, perthousands, pluses, multiplys), even if I haven’t touched them since the last time I reordered them. Correct Path Direction often fails here. In fact, I no longer use global Correct Path Direction For All Masters, since it usually breaks compatibility in glyphs that were working fine before.

Am I doing something wrong? Can you help?

Thanks,

Then I would see if there is a small change in relative dimensions from one master to the next. Like, does the left dot of the dieresis go a little lower than the right one in the light master, and the other way around in the bold master.

But generally, there will be situations where Correct Path Direction has to start guessing the path order. I usually do this once, early in the process, which gets most cases right, then go through the glyphs quickly and correct where necessary. For detailed path reordering without changing anything else, consider Filter > Fix Compatibility.

I usually do this once, early in the process, which gets most cases right, then go through the glyphs quickly and correct where necessary. For detailed path reordering without changing anything else, consider Filter > Fix Compatibility.

But that’s the problem. I also do this early on the process, and then correct stubborn glyphs by hand. And then I find I have to do it again, and again, and again as revisions continue, because certain glyphs don’t seem to want to stay re-ordered, even if I haven’t modified them at all since the last time.

And I do use Filter > Fix Compatibility. But it’s time-consuming to have to use it again and again on the same glyphs.

That is indeed strange, and I don’t recall happening it to me. Once ordered and saved, the path order stays put, unless you employ a script or filter that fiddles with path order.

1. Are you using Dropbox or some file syncing mechanism? If so, can you see, if the problem reoccurs when you disable it?
  2. Or can you reproduce it? Then we would be very interested in one of these glyphs.

No Dropbox.

Can’t predict when it will happen. But I can predict which glyphs are most likely to wind up scrambled over and over: dieresis, hungarumlauts, pluses (which I draw w/ two paths), multiply signs (same), percent and perthousand, f_f_I, f_f_i, guillemet, quotedblright,

On the other hand, some multi-path glyphs like numbersign and apple (which contains my 10-path logotype) never seem to get scrambled.

Now and then I accidentally correct path directions when I meant to update metrics, but I don’t think I could be doing it this often. I also suppose I might be closing out of a file without saving the reordering, but again, I don’t think I could be doing it this often.

I never saw that happening. There must be something that triggers this because glyphs never change themselfs.
If it happens again can you try to run correct path direction on them? And see if it does any change. If not, then you most likely run it by accident.

Thanks, Georg. That seems reasonable.