Non-breaking ligatures

Hi! Is it possible to create ligatures in such a way that they do not break at the end of paragraph lines?

No, fonts cannot influence how text is broken into lines. Only after the computer has broken a text into lines is a font applied.

1 Like

Ok thanks!

Maybe you can force the ligature using rlig feature. It also means you can never deactivate them though.
If you are talking about the ones like fb which are normally break points of two syllables (e.g. sufboard), then prioritising breaks rather than ligatures seems much better.

1 Like

Oooh I’ll try it! I’m actually creating a stylistic set that transliterates Latin pairs into Baybayin alphasyllabary using ligatures, but sometimes the end of the line breaks off the pairs, so it would be very useful if I could figure out a way to prevent that from happening.

If you are talking about line breaks in Glyphs, it’s not going to happen in other applications and you shouldn’t have to worry. Being a font editor, Glyphs prefers to split lines per glyph, but apps that use fonts split by word, or mid-word if you activate hyphenation.
In any case, if you want to automatically generate rlig code, name your ligatures like f_b.rlig

1 Like

Will keep these in mind when testing the font further!

But if the line breaking algorithm in the app decides to break between the glyphs that should form the ligature, it will break and not apply the ligature.

1 Like