Not a valid font file

Guys, what is the prescribed method for generating proper font names under Windows.

The font that I am generating gets an error when you try to open it “not a valid font file”. However, the otf file is proper if you drag it in FLS for example.

additional info: I have kept the chars below 20 as was suggested by Rainer in Windows error: "does not appear to be a valid font"

That error message can have several causes. It can be the names, but also other things. One way to narrow it down is the (a bit outdated) Font Validator from Microsoft.

Just downloaded and tested the file.

I have disabled combaccents on export, because the font comes from FLS (Glyphs export) and I have auto diacritics disabled.

I see that I am missing a NO-BREAK SPACE’ (U+00A0), but so is another font(test/proof of concept) that I generated, which opens fine in Windows. So I am ruling this out.

I have narrowed the problem down to these two errors in the cmap. Why are they present and how to fix them?

E0304
The endCode array is not in ascending order
PlatID = 0, EncID = 3, Fmt = 4

E0304
The endCode array is not in ascending order
PlatID = 3, EncID = 1, Fmt = 4

If this fails, I am thinking of exporting in Glyphs without autohints, and generating the font in FLS, but I cannot imagine that Glyphs couldn’t handle such an issue.

Btw the font works nicely in iOS, though I haven’t tested it in many apps.

Here is a sample with just the warnings and errors.

General Font Information.pdf (169.1 KB)

Th problem with font validator is that there are several errors and warnings that are not relevant any more and can be safely ignored. The error in the head table is most likely the cause of the problem. I never seen it before, could you send me the .glyphs file and the .otf?

This is the exact same issue. What was the solve?

It was not the same issue. The error message might be the same but the underlying problem is different. The font validator can give a hint where to find the problem.

Thank you for offering to take a look at the files. Where do I send them to?

Send it to support [at] this domain

The issue was indeed with E0304.

After spending additional time on the problem I was able to solve it. Thank you for your willingness to help and for the tip regarding font validator.

cheers

Can you share your solution?

I traced that E0304 error to the cmap and figured the problem was probably a bad case of array mapping, so naturally updating the glyphs info was the way to go.

You don’t happen to have a copy of the file before the fix? I’d like to check if I can prevent that error on export.

The file I sent you has the bug in place. I feel this error came from FLS when I have exported the file and the error was carried to Glyphs. Though, it was an easy fix, I have never though of regenerating the mapping, because Glyphs didn’t sound the alarm on export.

Hi!
I’m having the same issue with one of the two fonts in a family.
“Regular” style is all good - no problem at all. “Casual” style - otf doesn’t want to install here is screenshot https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22977838/IMG_22102015_110216.png
If I generate ttf instead - it works fine.
I have other weights in the family (regular and light) - both styles there - Regular and Casual - causing no problems at all.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Here is another screenshot specifying the problem (opening the font in FontForge). I don’t think that this is a main issue though…

StorytellerScript-MediumCasual is probably too long for a font name on Windows.

Have you tried the software that Georg suggested, it helped clear some clouds at the time.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/FontValidator.mspx

StorytellerScript-MediumCasual is probably too long for a font name on Windows.

Can’t be it. “StorytellerScript-MediumRegular” even longer but it works just fine

Have you tried the software that Georg suggested, it helped clear some clouds at the time.

Not yet. I’m on Mac so it’is a whole new story to do that.

Yes it can. ‘Regular’ does not count.

Want me to take a look? You can send me the files to res (at) this website without www.