Numbers with glyphs

Hello, A long time ago, I presented an article inquiring about the method of writing numbers within some of the symbols included in the font, for example the numbering of the Qur’anic verses, but I did not find an answer to that, I hope to find an answer in this inquiry.

Untitled%202

com-video-to-gif

I don’t know if there’s a general term for these marks with lines below, I just call them underline glyphs here.

There could be multiple approaches:

1. Make the underline glyph do all the work for elongation. You need to have lots of alternates in varying widths. It would also be easier to predict the width if the numbers are monospaced.
  2. Decompose everything and put underlines to the numbers. This way, you could reuse the underlined numbers to the first three cases. This approach obviously doesn’t work for the circled number case though. Also the resulting underline has to be straight.

Fonts that use this method do not use the method you mentioned. Please see the attached fonts.

[removed links]

You can’t casually share commercial fonts like that. Please respect the law and common sense.
The Adobe one does use the method 1. Sakkal’s one appears to have no alternates.

1 Like

Dear,

• The Fonts I attached are for the purpose of learning and seeking to solve the problem and not to do any business.
  • The attached Adobe font is an incomplete and old version, Sakkal font is available on Windows.
  • Do we conclude that this method of programming is a secret of ancient civilizations ?!
  • Please find a solution to this dilemma.
    Thanks.

Neither of the first two points justifies fair use. The fact that a font comes with something else, the font’s version, or its intended use, have nothing to do with your right to share. And as far as “business” claim is concerned, it only applies to some free fonts. Neither of the above fonts are free.

I already gave you two possible solutions, one is to have the alternates in varying width (Adobe Arabic’s solution) and the other is decompose it into smaller pieces (The Sakkal font does neither of that). If you know OpenType, it should be pretty straightforward to figure out how to do it.

The first paragraph I will let the lawyer talk to you about it!

The discussion here is not to find a way to use this method, but rather: How was this method used? Many Arabic books adopt this method in print publishing and if they are replaced in the font by another method that will not be recognized in the documents.
If I were fully aware of all the characteristics and capabilities of Opentype, I would not ask this question.

“Adobe arabic” version 1.150 Build 001.zip MS VOLT Source Code is officially Available on adobe blog Here:
https://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2007/06/adobe_arabic_sa.html

nothing new!

1. There is no link to the previous thread, so I have no context as to what you asked before.
  2. Without context, your first post is in no way clear about what you’re asking.
  3. It’s a forum about making fonts, which is the most obvious assumption of what your question might be. There’re much better forums as to how those characters are used (that’s more of an Arabic or typography question, not type making let alone in Glyphs).

I submitted a previous article and I did not get an answer, and you can enter from this link to see the content:

I clearly know what this forum offers, I am fully aware of the technical problems that can be solved related to Arabic Fonts, I know where to go to ask, I know that this is the place designated for that, and if you do not know the answer you can apologize rather than attack me. … this with all kindness and clarity.

context (uni06DD) @CG_27 @CG_27 @CG_27;
How can I write this command “context” in features window.

I don’t know what The context command is supposed to be. But if you refer to contextual substitution or positioning, you would need to use AFDKO syntax. There are tutorials about it, one of them explicitly called contextual substitutions.

Best place to learn opentype http://opentypecookbook.com

sub @arabicnumbers @arabicnumbers endofayah-ar’ by endofayah-ar.alt;

In this command I replace endofayah-ar with endofayah-ar.alt, But how do I replace endofayah-ar.alt once again with endofayah-ar.alt2, I’ve tried, the method didn’t work for me.

sub @arabicnumbers @arabicnumbers @arabicnumbers endofayah-ar.alt’ by endofayah-ar.alt2;

Can I insert a glyph without Kern?

After many tests and experiments, this result appeared:

com-video-to-gif

The method of work is shown below for information:

@numbers=[
zero-ar
one-ar
two-ar
three-ar
four-ar
five-ar
six-ar
seven-ar
eight-ar
nine-ar
zero-persian
one-persian
two-persian
three-persian
four-persian
five-persian
six-persian
seven-persian
eight-persian
nine-persian
four-persian.urdu
seven-persian.urdu
];
@smallnumbers1=[
zero-ar.small
one-ar.small
two-ar.small
three-ar.small
four-ar.small
five-ar.small
six-ar.small
seven-ar.small
eight-ar.small
nine-ar.small
zero-persian.small
one-persian.small
two-persian.small
three-persian.small
four-persian.small
five-persian.small
six-persian.small
seven-persian.small
eight-persian.small
nine-persian.small
four-persian.urdu.small
seven-persian.urdu.small
];
@smallnumbers2=[
zero-ar.small
one-ar.small
two-ar.small
three-ar.small
four-ar.small
five-ar.small
six-ar.small
seven-ar.small
eight-ar.small
nine-ar.small
zero-persian.small
one-persian.small
two-persian.small
three-persian.small
four-persian.small
five-persian.small
six-persian.small
seven-persian.small
eight-persian.small
nine-persian.small
four-persian.urdu.small
seven-persian.urdu.small
];
@smallnumbers3=[
zero-ar.small
one-ar.small
two-ar.small
three-ar.small
four-ar.small
five-ar.small
six-ar.small
seven-ar.small
eight-ar.small
nine-ar.small
zero-persian.small
one-persian.small
two-persian.small
three-persian.small
four-persian.small
five-persian.small
six-persian.small
seven-persian.small
eight-persian.small
nine-persian.small
four-persian.urdu.small
seven-persian.urdu.small
];

kerning

position endofayah-ar’ -1625 @smallnumbers1’ -50 @smallnumbers2’ -50 @smallnumbers3’ 235;
position endofayah-ar’ -1405 @smallnumbers1’ -50 @smallnumbers2’ 460;
position endofayah-ar’ -1185 @smallnumbers1’ 685;

calt

sub endofayah-ar @numbers’ by @smallnumbers1;
sub endofayah-ar @smallnumbers1 @numbers’ by @smallnumbers2;
sub endofayah-ar @smallnumbers1 @smallnumbers2 @numbers’ by @smallnumbers3;

3 Likes

@RTLtype

thanks for sharing.

unfortunately, old arabic typography groups/forums is no more live/active.
that’s why some script specific inquiries here in an app-specific support forum.

@GeorgSeifert @mekkablue

it’s helpful if there is a script-specific keywords reserved in this forum i.e @latin @arabic @Cyrillic to serve as altenative to old style forums sections. just to discuss script specific issues related to glyphsapp

Below are solutions for some abbreviations in Arabic, which are not ideal solutions but they do the job, I will put the font file in the attachments for who want these solutions. For who want the font used, you will find it on this link.
Note:
This method doesn’t work with Adobe indesign because there’s another way in the writing editor.

Hattan Sortcat.glyphs.zip (11.8 KB)

3 Likes