One master has dissapeared! But still there somehow..... ?!?

I exported my font after doing some work in calt (nothing that I would expect to do this) and after that one Master has disappeared! I don’t know if it happened precisely then or not.

I had regular, bold, and bold italic. Now it only shows 2 in masters and instances window. Here’s the masters window:
Here’s the edit window:

And yet here is the right side panel for the glyphs in edit window with one of the glyphs as an example:
Under the ‘regular’ layer (which doesn’t have colour layers, never did), there’s one that’s blank. That was the bold italic.

So all the layers are there, just somehow … this issue is here.
Any fix for this?

Thanks!

It looks like you deleted that master? They don’t just disappear by themselves. There certainly was a confirmation dialog. If you don’t remember anything like it, double check if you have a different file (version) open.

Or… did you add an instance instead? The Instances and Masters UIs look similar.

1 Like

I definitely don’t remember anything at all connected to deleting the master. I had just today added it, then added it (master) also as an instance (add instance for each master), and then worked on the new master. And could switch between all 3 styles in the edit window etc (2nd picture, now only 2). So I have no idea how it disappeared. But also if I had deleted it, would it not have taken its layers with it? But they are all still there, as you can see in the last image. Just the name of the layer has gone!

Oh yeah I did, and one of them is fine! I don’t remember if I had two open at the time this occured - after it occurred, I duplicated the pre-autosave version and opened that to see if my latest changes were in that before the weirdness… and opened one more in that process of searching for retreiving the work. So I don’t know 100% when what was open… but… thank you, all good now! :hugs:

I think I know more about this now… the file that stopped working was I think the only open file. I made a copy of that autosaved file (in the process of trying to recover the work) and it turns out it was that duplicated file (file ending ‘(Autosaved) copy’) that works fine. That’s how it seems. My problem is over since I will continue with that file, but reporting back just in case this is useful in case it was anything to do with the cutting edge version of the app… also sorry I can’t report the exact steps I took…

Sorry, I spoke too soon! I thought that file was fine because all 3 styles were there. Exporting the font I now discover that this file is also damaged. Regular is now what Italic Bold was; Bold is still Bold, and Italic Bold is just Bold.

And we have the same mysterious unnamed layer!

I don’t know what I can do…

So in this file, here’s what it should be, shown in blue:

Somehow it’s duplicated ‘bold’ and renamed it ‘Bold Italic’. And it’s removed the name from the actual Bold Italic layer, such that Regular takes posession of its layers. Across the whole file.

If there’s a fix then let me know and I’ll try to save my files more regularly and with continually changing file names to prevent this from happening again. If no fix, also will be great to know as I’ll set about re-doing the work, or manually rename/delete the layers in every glyph one by one which doesn’t sound fun!

Never touch that file (unless perhaps the main file got damaged beyond repair). This is for the system or app to reconstruct the last state of your work in case the app crashed without saving. It will reconstruct automatically if you open the main file.

OK thanks :slight_smile: . But as you can see I only tried that because the original file became corrupted in that unusual way while working with it. I figured it was worth a shot but that auto-save file just had a similar though somewhat different corruption.

It took a while but I re-did my work, just finished, so it’s all cool now :slight_smile: