OTF Fonts not printing from Word on Mac

Hi everyone,

I’m having a weird difficulty with a font family I am nearing the end on and am not sure what could be causing the issue. I have cleaned my font caches and tried installing the fonts directly in the Fonts folder and through FontBook, but to no avail. This is specific to the OTF format, I’m not having any issue with the exported TTFs so I’m not sure what could be causing it. Both the OTF and the TTF versions display fine in the document on screen itself, but when the doc is sent to the printer, when using the OTFs the output is a scrambled default. I’m producing both OTF and TTFs so I’d like both to work… any idea what might be causing this? I’ve included a screenshot of the doc and a photo of the printout. Any help would be very gratefully received!


Have you tried installing with a different family name to avoid cache problems?

If that doesn’t help, can you send the .glyphs file to support at this domain, so we can have a look?

Hi Rainer,

I tried changing the Family Name, but still having the same issue. I’ll email the Glyphs file now.

Thank you!

This reminds me of trouble Max Phillips was having last month: Spacing too wide in MS Office

I would suggest trying to generate the printable document with different tools, e.g. Preview, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Distiller, Open Office. And to pay attention of the PostScript interpreter of the printer.

I could print the OT-font from Word for Mac 14.5.9 on MacOS 10.10.5. on a simple HP Laserjet.

Very strange… I’ve cleaned the font caches, printed as an exported pdf from Word, restarted, reinstalled, renamed and I’m still having difficulty. I’ll try it again tomorrow on a different printer and see if that makes any difference. Thank you all for your help!

Use a different font name (add a running number, debugging MS Word issues lead me several time to number 80 or something). That saves you the cache cleaning and restarting.

I think is the postscript emulator of the printer. Some emulator have problems with the UPM with CFF fonts.

I spoke to Thomas Phinney today and mentioned this, and he said it might be PANOSE data; if the panose “monospace” value is set, then Windows may treat the font as monospace, using its glyphs but strange monospacing line layout.

But this is like the opposite, the wide metrics of the actual font seem to be used, but not the glyph outlines.

Nicolas, the UPM is 1,000.

@davelab6 Where is that font been hosted? I won’t be able to reproduce the bug but I can see some other values in order to reduce the scope of the issue.

I emailed you a copy

@davelab6 Thanks!

Thanks guys! @davelab6 & @Nicolas =)

I am a student in graphic design. I have finished a font for someone but once we put the font on microsoft word and export to pdf we get the same results as the fonts above. Could someone give a hand. I have tried the options above, it is not working. If anyone has any tips that would be great!

Hi, to be more precise we install the font by placing them in the font library. Not through a 3rd party software.

Windows version 10 & mac Catalina

MS word version : 16.43

Then this is probably a font cache problem. Read this please: