Overkerned pair in variable font

Hello,

I’m doing some more testing with variable fonts and just noticed that I’ve got a pair that, when used on Chrome 68, OSX 10.12, is overkerned (the glyphs are touching) when the kerning appears fine in Glyphs/Photoshop.

Here are some screenshots of the apps. Is this a known bug? I cleaned up/compressed the kerning no changes. This is exported from the latest Glyphs cutting edge (2.5.2 1165).

Can you send me the .glyphs file please to support (at) (this website without www). I will have a look.

Is the ‘nine’ a component?

It is! I’ll send the file right now.

As I suspected. The nine is a opponent. And there is a bug in macOS that messes up the spacing of components. The easies is to decompose components before you export the variable font. I need to come up with a way to automatic “fix” this.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s very helpful! Is there an export script that can be done to automatically decompose components on export? Otherwise I can just manually do it before exporting, it’s not that big an issue once you know :slight_smile:

Usually with a Decompose Glyphs custom parameter. But that does not work for variable fonts. For now, please make a backup (layer, background or duplicate of glyph) and decompose it.

1 Like