Per font Export Destination

I often work on different font projects simultaneously, and each has its own export destination. Is there a way to have a per font export destination, instead of having to change it each time I switch projects?

4 Likes

+1

I think this was requested before.

1 Like

I thought about this and I don’t remember what I came up with. So I need to figure it out again :wink:

2 Likes

+1
I would also like to request this.

It could also be helpful to add multiple destination as suggested here – Suggestion: multiple export destinations - #4 by Norbert

2 Likes

You can define a “Export Folder” custom parameter in the instance settings. It is not a full export path, but a subpath to the otherwise set export destination.

Interesting. I didn’t know about the Export Folder in instances.

Going back to the original issue of this post…is it possible that each glyphs file can have its own full path Export Destination?

Just seems natural that each glyphs file remembers the last place it exported to.

Not likely. This will produce too many issues with collaborators. There are some improvements in the export window coming that might help.

At least being able to export next to the source file location would be a huge help, as this is where I almost always want to export my fonts.

You could make a script that is called by the DOCUMENTEXPORTED callback, and moves the exported font whereever you like.

For that, my plugin Post-Export Command can be helpful. See the following thread for usage guidance:

https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/what-is-the-best-way-to-add-a-binary-table-to-exported-font/19392/6

(The plugin is not yet in the Plugin Manager, add https://florianpircher.com/glyphs/packages-preview.plist to Glyphs → Preferences… → Addons → Alternate Plugin Repos. That puts the prerelease version in the Plugin Manager for download.)

But Glyphs-file-specific export is important enough to either be added as a feature to Glyphs directly or as a separate plugin.

Not sure I understand what is meant by “issues with collaborators”…as in if you share a glyphs file with someone else?

A plugin seems unnecessary for something like this. Feels like it should just be a regular feature, the same way that Save As remembers the last place the specific file was saved…except with Export, the destination path being set manually.

A lot glyphs files are worked on by several people. Most likely those will have different folder structures and if you have a hard coded path, it will cause a mess.

Isn’t setting the path via Export Destination sort of hard coding it, in a way? Because any glyphs file I open, the destination path is going to be whatever was set before (which in most cases will be the incorrect path for the newly opened file).

If my export destination is set to something like gorjious->desktop->wip_work->name_of_some_font_1->testing->fonts then when I open up other glyphs files, whether new or from a collaborator, it’s going to have that same destination…which I then have to change.

Could a solution be if a collaborator receives a glyphs file that doesn’t match the path in Destination Export, then the path is reset and the collaborator is prompted to set their specific path for that glyphs file?

Yes, but it is per user and not stored with the file.

This happens with .glyphsproject file. Would be better that the path is relative instead of absolute?
(Sorry for the offtopic comment)

I don’t mind if the setting was stored in the local settings and not in the file, I don’t actually want to pollute the file. I’d be happy if Glyphs would let me export the file to the same path I exported it to last time.

My use case is that I work with different font projects simultaneously, and I always export the files next to the source, so I don’t want to select a directory every time I pres cmd+e, I want Glyphs to just export the file and not ask me anything.

I don’t also want to export all fonts to the same directory, because almost always the files are under version control and I want to commit them with the source changes (yes, I keep binaries under version control, this way when I debug I regression and can easily tell if it is because a change in the source or in the tools).

2 Likes

Florian has some ideas on how to improve this. We’ll have a look.

1 Like

Yes! Exporting to the same folder that the .gyphs file that exported it would be fine.