PhotoFonts

I tried copying and pasting a bitmap image into glyphs and exported it as a .phf file and saved it in my fonts folder. It isn’t coming up in my adobe font list. What am I missing here?

THanks,
Nora

Unfortunately, Photofonts are not directly supported by Adobe. You need to load plugins. Follow the instructions: www.photofont.com/photofont/use/

great thanks.

Hi, I was happy to stroll upon Glyphs, when I was looking for a method to use photos as a font.
I found that FontLab has developed several plugins to use these phf fonts in Adobe software (Ai,Ps,ID). Unfortunately they all appeared to be outdated (up to CS4).
I asked FontLab and they told me "I would not say the product is discontinued, but we indeed do not have plans to update plug-ins in the near future. We just do not have enough human resources for that."
That makes photofonts pretty useless.

Is there any chance that the people at Glyphsapp will take the effort to make photo fonts useable?
Would be nice, and probably a reason to buy Glyps after the trial…

I have never used PHFs myself, and apart from the demos, I have not even seen it in use. Frankly, with the advent of hi-res screens, it’s a good advice to strive for resolution independence.

What exactly is it that you want to do? Did you consider a vector-based layerfont?

There are nice things you could do with Photofonts. Imagine a font drawn with water colors. Or a very soft pencil sketch. And use them in Indesign.

Funny you should mention water colors. I once scanned a watercolor handwriting and created three layers using three different threshold settings in the Trace Background plugin. In InD, I stacked them on top of each other, using increasingly darker shades of color. Only a quick hack, but the output was pretty convincing.

Imagine a font drawn with water colors. Or a very soft pencil sketch.

While such cases sound attractive, the fonts are going to be so distinctive that they are limited to a small number of uses and thus are unlikely to recoup the costs of creating them. Another problem with such fonts is that the the letters often need a matching background to make sense visually. That further limits the range of jobs a font can be used on. From an artistic standpoint this technology sounds interesting, but from a practical standpoint, it just makes more sense to leave such work up to lettering artists.

You are right, it is not commercially interesting for type designers but very interesting for illustrators and designers.

And it supports full alpha transparency.

The link stil works for me.
And sorry for deleting your post. The admin panel is a bit confusing.