Please test new plugin: Springs

The problem with the grey background is that they get cumulatively added. If you have lots and lots of constraints, then your glyph is practically black!

And I’m afraid I can’t get it to fail in 861. Anything in the log or macro window?

One of the recurring issues is the off-curve control points are sticky, to the grid — unless one takes the time to link every single one of them.

I doubt I will be using the plugin due to the amount of time it takes — I can do it quicker, manually.

Ok, thank you - this is the kind of feedback I need to help make it usable! I don’t consider this a finished product, so if it doesn’t work for you then I would really appreciate knowing how to improve it. I can do the programming side but I am still very much learning the type design side so I don’t actually have too much of a sense of what would make this work well.

Yes, I can see there should be some kind of automatic “weak” constraints on the offcurve nodes so that, unless otherwise constrained, they move along with their on curve counterparts. I will work on this.

OK, Simon, thanks for the info on your background. I will play around with it a bit as time permits and see if I can offer some constructive pointers for you.

Thanks. I’ve added some weak constraints for offcurve nodes. It’s not perfect and it still behaves a bit strangely in places but I think it’s a bit more natural now.

@SimonC, I think if you can make the plugin configuration completely transparent to the user it would be extremely useful. As it is now, linking all the points is too time-consuming and largely confusing.

I think perhaps since you wrote it and understand completely how it should work you can configure a glyph fairly quick, but the average user doesn’t have that knowledge. Make it easy to use, then it will be a winner.

@SimonC is springs working with the latest cutting edge version of glyphs?

Also, I am interested in a simple script or plugin for transforming width or height of a glyph, while preserving the stem width and sidebearings. Can you please suggest the best approach this or provide sample code?

Thank you

That is not a simple operation. But did you try the RMX tools? Font Remix Tools for Glyphs - tutorials Check the Tunes or the Scaler…