Plug-Ins not visible in Glyphs 3249?

The problem is that I don’t see RMX Tools on the new machine even in the 3151 version.

I installed 3249, installed and uninstalled Python and Vanilla through the Plugin Manager multiple times in both versions of the app — is it possible that there’s some residual something that prevents the 3151 from seeing the RMX Tools? Is there a way to reset everything to state zero so I can try again without dabbling with the cutting edge versions?

Some things you can try, not very likely to fix the problem, but if you are desperate:

• Restart your Mac. (Yes, really, a user recently reported that this did the trick.)
  • Instead of re-installing the plug-in by overwriting it, remove the .glyphsFilter file (use cmd+shift+Y to open the Glyphs 3 folder, then it will be in the Plugins subfolder). Restart Glyphs, install the latest version of the plug-in by dragging the .glyphsFilter file onto the Glyphs icon in the dock. Restart Glyphs again.
  • Check whether the Glyphs app has been accidentally re-named. Cmd-click on the Glyphs icon in the dock. This will open the Applications folder (with the actual .app file selected). Is it called Glyphs 3.app or maybe something else?
  • If this does not help it might be the folder permissions. You could try deleting the entire Glyphs 3 folder (the one that opens upon cmd+shift+Y). You want to keep a back-up, of course. And restart Glyphs, and re-install the plug-in, and re-start Glyphs, of course.
  • Try re-installing the Glyphs licence.

@TimAhrens Thank you for the detailed instructions, unfortunately none of the methods solved the problem. I still have my old machine where everything works fine, so there’s really not much pressure, but I really appreciate you looking into it. Thank you!

Can you remove the preferences file and restart the Mac.

@GeorgSeifert @TimAhrens @FlorianPircher I solved it. The problem was that my account name and home folder was Ondrej while the Settings > Users & Groups > Ondrej > Advanced Options… > Home Directory had /Users/ondrej.

I did rename my account and folder after setting up my Mac to start with uppercase O, but had no idea that the lowercase ondrej stayed there in the Home Directory setting, because everything on the machine worked absolutely without any issue.

I’d like to believe that this is the cause of the problem for the other users as well, but if not, please accept my apology for causing this panic.

2 Likes

Updated but nothing changed!

@GeorgSeifert do you have an idea of what this could be and how we can sort it?

Not really. The only thing that I could think of is to remove the plugin and repositories folder and reinstall everything from scratch. And re-install you license file.

It actually reappeared with today’s glyph update (3188)! thanks guys!

3188 is from April last year.

The current cutting-edge version is 3255 and the current official release is 3151.

@bojjoe could you open Glyphs, go to the menu bar → GlyphsAbout Glyphs and post here the version that appear in the lower left, like “3.2 (3254)” here:

So I just upgraded my computer (15in MB Air M3, 2024), and have installed the newest version of Glyphs 3 (3151).

I tried to also install RMX with a fresh download off JAF’s site.
Unfortunately, it’s not showing up in the “Filter” menu as well. Really quite perplexing.

The latest version is 3.2-3257.

How did you instal the plugin? Can you check the Plugins folder and clean out all references to RMX and then reinstall it (best by double clicking the plugin).

I just posted about this in another thread— Just adding myself to the chorus of people having this issue!

Updated to 3.3… same issue. RMX Tools still not working. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted…

What OS are you using?

Here you go!

Mine is G3.3 [3303], M2 OS 14.4.1; RMX loads as usual and works fine.

The only thing was I got a warning from the System that this app (meaning Glyphs) does not describe this internet connection (meaning remix-tools). Just select allow Forever and proceed.

My best guess is another plugin is interfering, so I would try removing all plugins from Plugins except for RMX Tools, then restart. If RMX is OK then, add the plugins you removed back in one at a time and restart each time until RMX has problems again. I know it can be tedious but it is also a big help in trying to fix things.

Can you re-install your license file?