Rename Glyphs and Smart Components bug?: only swaps when piece settings at default

Scenario using Glyphs 2.4.1 (948) beta:

Several glyphs using _part.line as a Smart Component piece.
Second instance that uses Rename Glyphs to swap in a different _part.line.newstyle for _part.line.
Result is that only the glyph with _part.line set with properties at default get swapped in. Glyphs that have _part.line properties set at other values don’t change. That seems like a bug.

Quick test .glyphs file: part-rename-export.glyphs.zip (914 Bytes)

Instance clip:

Instance using Rename Glyphs _part.line.newstyle=_part.line:

I would have expected the direction of /B and /C to change.

I had a look. That needs a rather big code change. I’ll have to postpone that a bit.

I’ve just come up against this same issue. Wondering is this can work somehow in Glyphs 3?

In a nutshell: Rename Glyphs custom parameter only appears to work for smart components in their default state.

My project involves swapping in several different components across multiple instances. I’m now having to replace each of my smart components with a series non-smart components to get around this issue. It’s just more complicated and is going to take more time. But I’ll manage if this function isn’t possible. Just checking in :slight_smile:

Can you send me a sample file that shows the problem?

I’ve just emailed you. Thanks Georg.

Fixed it.

Unfortunately that fix wasn’t good. I can’t fix it at this point.

What you can do ist instead of switching the smart component, switch the N and N.ss01.

Swapping the entire character has been my solution so far.

Not as flexible but gets the job done.

Big thanks for taking a look!