Request: cycling through sample text

I was quite used to the workflow of loading a text file for testing, and then cycling through the lines of text while fixing spacing and kerning. I find it a bit cumbersome in glyphs that I have to open up a dialog and close it again before I do any edits. Could we have a way of having that dialog open while being able to edit?

If you use the keyboard to open (cmd+opt+F) and close (return) the dialog it is very fast and I do not think there is a better solution.

That’s the way I do it, and yet I find it a bit cumbersome to open–>select–>close. I’d love to have the dialog open always and just be able to select and edit without open&close.

Georg, I agree with Kemie. You know we are lazy and we want to optimize our efforts to a minimum. But to be honest I have no solution in mind. Kemie?

Why don't you just paste the whole text file into an edit tab? You know it supports multiple lines, right? You don't even need to ‘cycle’ through lines, you just arrow or scroll into the next line.

Still not an elegant solution. Ideally it would be great to see one line at the time.

I know it’s been a year from this, and I might be alone in my wish for this feature, but this is probably the one thing about glyphs that annoys me consistently. I would love to be able to save the time and effort of opening and closing the dialog for each line of text I want. I use a variation of this file for kerning, and yes, i guess i could just have the whole thing at once on the screen, but I like being able to kern one line at a time.

Since fn-left and fn-right advance through glyphs, why not fn-up and fn-down to advance through test strings?

Even if you have the text strings always visible, you’d have to focus from the text strings window to the main one to edit. It would be slower then a keyboard shortcut.
In addition activating an instance preview on a long string slows down Glyphs consistently.

For now, I cannot offer you a single keystroke for going to the next sample string but you can accomplish it with three: Cmd-opt-F, downarrow, return.

I added a menu command to switch to the next and previous string. I did not assign a key but everybody is free to add his own.