Request: non-exporting “_part” anchors

I’d love for anchors to behave sort of like how _part glyphs work, perhaps by applying a similar prefix. It is, IMO, bad practice to include unnecessary data in the exported font files.

I changed it that to be used for the mark feature, anchor names need to start with a latin letter (a-zA-Z). Everything else can be use for positioning of components.

Is this change part of 2.3?

I strongly suggest making the method of marking something as non-exporting consistent.

What about the corresponding “_top” anchor for a mark glyph (matched with a “top” anchor on base glyph)? It starts with an underscore, so from what you say it shouldn’t export, which would break mark functionality.

I strongly suggest making the method of marking something as non-exporting consistent.

I agree. This is something that needs to be obvious so people who didn’t set the anchors don’t get confused. IIRC I originally suggested adding “exempt” to the names of anchors not used for mark features. Using the word “exempt” in software sold globally might not work well, but an obvious symbol like # at the beginning of the anchor name-for example, #top and #_top—would stand out to type designers since they’re used to using it for Python comments.

But that should work. Except that it is #top and _#top. Whatever naming scheme will be used eventually, it should not break the underscore correspondence. I think Georg left that out because he thought it was obvious.