Scale Horizontal or Vertical BCPs for Multiple Glyphs

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to scale (for example) only vertical BCPs for multiple selected glyphs? Fit curve affects both horizontal and vertical BCPs, and only for the current glyph. I believe that the option to contract or expand all vertical or all horizontal BCPs for multiple glyphs would be very useful. Maybe there already is a way to do that, I just haven’t found it?

I don’t see what you are trying to do. Can you give some examples?

OK, here’s one:
I created a Regular width master and an ultra Compressed master. Then, I interpolated the Condensed Master. Because the Compressed master was so narrow, now the Condensed looks a bit too squarish, compared to the Regular. If I could just retract for a certain percentage all the vertical BCPs in the Condensed master, that would really speed up the process of getting the right shape.

And if you retract all, by a little less than what you would retract the vertical BCPs?

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your question.

Aha, OK now I get what you’re saying, use Fit Curve to a lesser amount. Yes, I ended up doing just that, going glyph by glyph. But it took way more time than the feature I’m suggesting would. The interpolated master was almost perfect regarding the horizontal BCPs. If I had the feature to control the scale of vertical BCPs, and add it as a custom parameter to the instance I used for interpolation, I probably wouldn’t have to spend more than 15 minutes on that master. I feel this would be a great way to add more control to the process of interpolation.

Ah, I was just writing the explanation. :slight_smile:

The task seems very project-specific to me. You could write a simple plug-in for that.

Not sure it makes sense to batch-set curvatures indiscriminately as a general feature.

Well, so is the Round Corners feature, but it’s still useful. :slight_smile:
Look at it this way, if I could use the feature as a custom parameter on an instance, it would allow me to quickly try out many different design options related to the curve tension. It would be possible to export complete families with different degrees of “roundness”.

If I knew how to do that, we wouldn’t be having this discussion here. :joy:

You can learn Python in an afternoon. Take a look at the Scripting tutorials on the website. It is way easier than you think.