Script request: show all overlapping glyph combinations

I would love to have a script that would show me all glyph combinations that are overlapping. This would be a great help when checking kerning.

Imagine you are working on a Heavy condensed typeface. Big chance your /icircumflex (or similar) is partially overlapping some glyphs set next to it.

Thinking out loud, maybe even an extra search setting for a minimal/maximum distance would also be nice.

Could someone help me with that ? How much work would that be and what would it cost ?

So ideally this would be something like Nina Stössinger’s Robofont Extension Touché?

1 Like

Hi Benedikt ! That is indeed how it should work. I didn’t know Nina had made such a nice tool. Unfortunately, I don’t work with Robofont.

Experimental Glyphs port is available. https://github.com/schriftgestalt/Touche

1 Like

@Tosche, thanks a lot !

I installed, together with the latest objectGS and GSpen, but it isn’t working. Or it is very slow. I selected three glyphs to test.

Thank you all anyway, I will wait until a more mature version will be out.

I have an internal Schriftlabor tool that does exactly that, look for overlaps. It is reliable but slow. Georg gave me good input for a better algorithm, and I have been wanting to rewrite it for ages. But I can send you an e-mail with it if you like.

Hi @mekkablue. That would be very nice. I could test it and send you any findings as well.

i had a look at the Touché plugin this afternoon. I could improve the speed by a factor of five. I need to clean it up and will publish it soon.

2 Likes

I just uploaded my changes. Please try.

Thanks, I will.

It is really quick ! Thank you very much.

I’ve installed touché, updated everything but can’t find how to run it. No messages in macro neither… Where should it be in the menus?

I believe that Touché ends up under the Edit menu. fyi.

Me too, but nothing shows up…

Can you check the macro panel for errors?

on G2 opening I just see “Traceback (most recent call last):”

Nothing more?

nope.
In console I see
24/04/18 17:43:55,804 Glyphs[60840]: Missing Category Filter: CATEGORIES
24/04/18 17:43:56,166 Glyphs[60840]: Missing Category Filter: All

but It doesn’t seem to be related

found this too in macro, but not related neither?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “GlyphsApp/GlyphsApp/plugins.py”, line 1137, in drawForegroundForLayer_options_
File “/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Repositories/Stem Thickness/StemThickness.glyphsReporter/Contents/Resources/StemThickness.py”, line 96, in foreground
closestData = self.calcClosestInfo(layer, crossHairCenter)
File “/Users/xxxxx/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Repositories/Stem Thickness/StemThickness.glyphsReporter/Contents/Resources/StemThickness.py”, line 263, in calcClosestInfo
n = math.floor(closestPathTime)
TypeError: a float is required