Selecting and locking anchors

Work in progress.

1 Like

I see that shift is not used, but the space bar, which is how some other apps do this kind of selection moving (think of screen grabber, even the Mac built-in one). So that makes sense to use the space bar.

Shift has no visible effect to me, other than inverting the selection if some things where already selected.

Edit: ah no, I misunderstood the “modify selection” part. Shift does what you say, additionally, space bar can be used to move the selection rectangle around.

Sad to say I use this a lot. Especially for nudging. And in corners with lots of overlaps and small curves.

And it’s a way for selecting all handles: opt-drag select everything, invert selection, and you got all handles. Useful for deleting all curves and making them straight lines.

Look into Insert All Anchors in All Layers.

You would run this script after you placed anchors in one of the layers. And then it reproduces the anchors in all other masters. It orients itself after the points of your outlines.

Neat, except that it doesn’t know about concepts like ‘middle between baseline and x-height’ and so forth. That becomes a problem because different weights don’t have the same x-heights.

If Glyphs was smarter it should let us place ad hoc anchors anchored to specified nodes on outlines, any other coordinate where both x, and y axes can be conceptually specified (x-height, baseline, cap, and leftSidebearing, middleOfAdvanceWidth, &c, &c.

I also want to be able to link any anchor with any other anchor.

I want to be able to edit these anchors over in the sidebar, and edit all the layers in one go. Eg. an anchor called doge could be specified as x=(.05*advanceWidth), and y=(halfXHeight) and so on.

I would then be able to construct glyphs out of parts linked together. If I then also could specify if one of these parts would add to the advance width of the composite or not, then we would really be cooking with gas.

1 Like

It first looks if it coincides with a node, then with the x coordinate of a node, and falls back to the relative position within the bounding box IIRC.

1 Like