Show kerning in Text View without Ruler

Lot of things I don’t miss about Fonlab, but I do miss this such feature from FontLab, where those little lines under the glyph always show, no matter what point size if there is kerning existing.

This is in Glyphs app I understand but only zoomed in AND the ruler must be enabled which is slowing down rendering as it is calculating all numbers.

Also: Is it possible to list all kerning pairs of a font in the text view? So I can open ‘Kerning’, select all, and all kerning pairs will be in the text?

Even better would be allow automatically show ‘Context’, i.e. for /comma:

HOH,HOH
HHH,HHH
OOO,ooo
XHX,xox

Last question, is it possible to use a method with “|” bar like in Metrics to refer to the other side of a glyphs? For example in symmetrical letters like vwVWOo

What you want to achieve can be done by stepping through kerning pairs, using placeholders and sample strings.
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/kerning

I do not understand your last question. What would you use this for? What do you want to achieve?

You mean the blue and yellow overlay? I will see what I can do.

This is an interesting idea.
Great idea!!
That would be very useful!
Do you mean this: ctrl-opt = kerning the left side cmd-opt = kerning the right side ... in combination with left/right arrows

I mean like how with metrics you can link to the other side of a metric with “|”, like Left /u metric: =|n.

I am not sure about details but basically I find that I have to repeat, double check metrics like /v/o/v, /v/period/v etc, when one should be able to take that redundancy out since it will be the same for some glyphs.

He meant you would put the ‘|’ in the kerning field.

OK, I can see /v/o and /o/v, or, more generally symmetric letters to each other. But for these cases, you can use the cmd-opt shortcut:

1. Type /v/o/v,
  2. move your cursor in front of the /o
  3. adjust kerning for /v/o with ctrl-opt,
  4. and (without moving the cursor) for /o/v with cmd-opt.

It is quicker because you can keep your fingers on the keyboard, and it is safer because you always see what you are doing. The example you state yourself, /v/period and /period/v, can be a bad idea, at least for reading type. And seeing that right away helps.

On this same topic, why doesn’t the ruler’s measurements change after kerning is applied? I’d like to be able to see and compare the space between letters shapes after kerning is applied