Steal sidebearings script

Does it work only for the masters that have unique names from the drop-down menu? Meaning Light/Regular/SemiBold/Bold and the Custom parameter set to “zero”? What happens if the font have two Bold masters with the Customer parameter set to 0 and 1 accordingly?
It doesn’t seem to copy anything from a source font to any of the masters with custom names…

In my experience scripts that grab stuff from another font in bulk don’t work well if the source has multiple masters. Just save a single master version to steal from.

Well, that’s exactly what I did. I deleted all the masters except one and named the new file “sidebearings”. Now trying to copy metrics from this one to the file that has all the masters in it - one by one… Doesn’t seem to work :frowning:

The easiest should be to export the metrics from all masters as a metrics file and then import that into the new font. The import is always into the active master.

I just fixed a bug in the script which made the master selection unreliable when more than one master had the exact same font and master names. It should work much better now, all masters in the pull down menus are now indexed with a number.

1 Like

Wow! that was fast! :smile: Will give it a try right now.
thanks a lot, Rainer!

Georg, I’m not sure I know how to export metrics :frowning: Besides, i need LSB and RSB only, no width is needed.

File > Export… > Metrics

1 Like

Oh… I didn’t realise it is a tab :smile: , thought it would be in the top menu under the export. Anyway, I believe it exports all metric info, there is no way to narrow it down to lsb/rsb only?

It exports everything but the import lets you choose what to apply.

Had no idea you can have a choice while importing metrics. Will be using it from now on. Thank you, Georg!

I’m using this thread to post a question re the Steal Sidebearings Script by @mekkablue . For some glyphs it gives me this Error message:

Start
End
Copying 1 glyph metrics from Typeface to New Typeface:
Error: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘layers’

I’m copying SB’s from a single master *.glyphs file into a multiple master *.glyphs file.

Any idea what is happening here?
Thank you

Johannes

In general, it is better to ask this question regarding specific scripts in github.

This should be an issue on GitHub. But anyway: make sure you have the latest version of the scripts.

Hi @GeorgSeifert and @mekkablue – thank you. I updated the scripts yet same issue appears. I’ll post an issue on github for it.