Suggested improvement

I think a very useful feature would be if we had a way to name global (or maybe even all) guidelines. Maybe limit the number of characters in the name.

Can this be done?

If you need a name to remember what a guideline is for you probably aren’t using it and just need to delete it.

No, not at all. The point is that when one gets quite a few guidelines close together then sometimes it is hard to remember which is which.

What are you using the guidelines for?

The usual thing: Cap Height, X-Height, Overshoots, Numbers (if they are different), accent vertical positioning bounds plus anything else that pops up that would apply to a large number of glyphs.

In total there are rarely that many, but if one is doing work that may be worked on by another, documentation would be helpful.

FontLab Studio uses an automatic indicator implementation but it only applies to Cap © and X-Height (X).

What about defining alignment zones in File > Font Info > Masters? Easier to keep track of.

You can define a smallCapHeight custom parameter.

I hadn’t thought of that; will look into it. Thanks.

[edit]
I don’t think using Alignment Zones as a way of marking guidelines is very practical – and certainly not quicker.

As for keeping track of what a guideline is for, it couldn’t get any simpler than having a label on it.

Can you post a screenshot of one of your glyphs?

I’ll email it to you at Support. I’m not sure how to post it here since it seems to require a url.

We took a look at the image you sent. What you are using the guidelines for is exactly what alignment zones are for. They have several advantages over guidelines, e.g. you get node indicators so you can see if a node is in a zone even if you’re zoomed out. And you cannot accidentally (re)move it because you set them font-wide in Font Info > Masters, not in the glyph. Besides, you need to set them at one point anyway, at least if you want to use hinting. If you already have a few glyphs, you can let Glyphs guess the zones for you.

You can use a service like CloudApp or Droplr.

Thanks for that info. I’ll try it today and get used to doing it that way.