Suggestion: customisable sidebar and smart filter for curved glyphs

Hey, I would like to suggest two features that would come in handy. Maybe some of the things are already there, I just don’t know how to access them.

1. I use a lot of filters, so the left sidebar is usually very long. It is just a workflow thing and it helps me a lot. I would like to suggest a thing that would tidy up the sidebar: a possibility to disable certain predefined lists that are there, for example I don’t need runes or music notation for most of my projects, so it would be great to remove them from the sidebar if I want to. Or maybe with the new file, in a configuration window I could choose which scripts are going to be included in the font, or maybe through a custom parameter something like “default lists visibility”.

2. I would really use a smart filter that shows only glyphs that contain at least one curved segment.

What do you think?

1. can already be done. See Section 7.5.3, Languages, on page 91 of the Glyphs Handbook:

https://cdn2.glyphsapp.com/media/pages/learn/f84e457b88-1639830290/glyphs-3.0.4-handbook.pdf#page91

Thanks, I expected that I’m just a dummy

1. I expect that this would be too slow to process the filter as it needs to look into each glyphs layers. That takes some time and would need to be recomputed a lot.

Probably better to write a script that collects all glyphs in a new tab.

@Szakoba Here is a script oi open NewTab with curved Glyphs

#MenuTitle:  New tab with curved Glyphs
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

font = Glyphs.font
master = font.selectedFontMaster
glyphs_with_curves = []

def has_curve(layer):
    for path in layer.paths:
        for segment in path.segments:
            if len(segment) == 4:
                return True
    return False

for glyph in font.glyphs:
    layer = glyph.layers[master.id]
    if has_curve(layer):
        glyphs_with_curves.append(glyph)

glyphs_names = "/"+"/".join([g.name for g in glyphs_with_curves])
font.newTab(glyphs_names)

Wow thank so much @HugoJ :smiling_face: That’s so helpful!