Suggestion: modifier key to add a vertical guide

Currently you right click > Add guide to add a horizontal guide. It would be great to hold down a modifier key like Shift or Command to quickly add a vertical guide (I know you can double click on the guide handle but this would be a nice quick method to create a lot of vertical guides in one go). Thanks for consideration

1 Like

If you have two points selected, choosing Add Guide will add a guide running through the two points. And you can duplicate a guide by Option-dragging it. But, the Add Vertical Guide idea is also interesting.

1 Like

Cheers @FlorianPircher I did discover those options last night :slight_smile: I thought it’d be nice to have the modifier key option from the start however, since it is one step less in the process and vertical guides are fairly useful.

+1 for this
Holding Option/Alt changes to Global Guides so maybe Shift or Ctrl modifier key could be a go way to switch vertical guide option.

Could there also be a modifier key to add a guide at the Italic Angle?

1 Like

I wonder if that is not too much for one menu item.

In TextMate there is a pattern that for a lot functions it shows a small popup that asks for details. e.g. when you hit F5 (sort lines), you get this:
Screenshot
You can trigger each item by pressing the number key. Some commands have even more options.

2 Likes

Feels like it could all still work in the single menu line of “Add Guideline” with different modifier keys.
Default – Horizontal Guideline
Option – Vertical Guideline (indesign switches guidelines with option)
Cmd – Switch to global guidelines
Shift – Shift to Italic angle

But that’s an interesting idea with the popup menu. Maybe that can fit into the idea of having different types of guideline/measurement tools? – Ideas for types of measurement tools - #3 by gor.jious

Technically that would fit into one menu item. But it would be almost impossible for people to discover. The Option key is used in a lot places that we can expect people to try that. All other would only be useable if people read the handbook.