Suggestions and Bugs

Hi Glyph Team,

I’d like to report some bugs(?) or suggestions, that I know for a longer time:

1. there seems to be a indecision with the name of ligaturs ‘fi’ and ‘fl’.
    (The features want to have ‘f_i’ and ‘f_l’, also the “add-missing-glyphs-list” for Windows 1252 want that
    but mac roman want to have just ‘fi’ and ‘fl’. Is there a clean solution?)

2. my favorite glyphs-tool is to “alt-click” on a note and “grind” the curve.
    But there is a little “un-usability” on it. If you click and drag the note, it first “jumps” for 9-11 units, after that you can move it smoothly. I can imagine the reason for that is to “save” its actual position, but for a good grinding it could be more precisely from the first move on?!

3. is it possible to re-order the filter-lists in the xml-data or glyph-data?
    Would be nice to have the possibility to do that in glyphs

thanks
o

1: both are possible, the unorthodox ligature names /fi and /fl have their historic reasons. I believe the one triggers liga and the other dlig, but I am not on a Mac now.

3: currently not, unless you go into the XML file itself. It is in the Application Support folder, right next to the Scripts folder.

1. can you make a small screencast showing the jump?

1: mmmh ok, could be more comfortable. Have i to create both?

2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/go8ic8pv1pxk1km/jumping_nodes.mov

3: I will try

thanks

1: you don’t. “fi” and “f_i” behave mostly the same. Only “fi” will get a unicode assigned because it is accessible from Mac keyboards so someone might type it.

2: This is the snapping keeping the node in place. For finer movements I recommend using the keyboard.

3: I’m working on it.

ok thank you very much.

2:
I didnt know that I could nudge also with the keyboard.
Thats a fantastic update for me.

I rarely use the mouse to move points. So you can do everything with the keyboard and it might work with the mouse, too ;)

Hi all,
(I post my suggestion here, because it fits the theme)

It could be a good option to “exclude” lists in the glyph-overview:

f.e. I’d like to get all “SmallCaps”+“Marks” but ‘exclude’ “CentralEurope” (I know I can stack lists by hold ‘cmd’)
For now its just possible to ‘add’ lists to each other…

Is this something for next versions of glyphs?

thx

For this purpose, make your own list filter or custom filter.

It would not work, because a glyph can appear in both Central and Western European, e.g. /acircumflex. If CE was to be excluded, but WE included, should /acircumflex be displayed or not? I believe this would make it very confusing.

What are you trying to achieve?

Hi

You right, could be confusing :slight_smile:

I try to: Open ‘all’ + exclude ‘my list’ (all in These start with ‘elm_’)

Htc

Here’s what I do.
I make a list that I want to include, select and colour them all. Then go to another custom filter which looks for uncoloured glyphs.

Yes, nice Trick. Works great.

thank you

Hi all, i got another Suggestion. I have to Hit Key “V” to use the ruler tool. This also Shows me the coordinates. Now, if i’d like to edit some nodes i have to Hit “L”. Could it be nice to Show the coordinates and allow the edit of the noses together?
Thx

You can press cmd+opt+ctrl to temporarily switch to the ruler tool to show the coordinates.

ok i tried,

but i can’t edit the notes or paths while look at the coordinates …

I didn't found that useful, yet. The coordinates of the selection are in the info box.

mmm

f.e.:
to have a look whether two paths have the same lenght and angle
(because you can compare the “delta-values[?]”).

When moving an object, I sometimes do want to know how much it’s moving from the original position (or in how much angle). At least when something is on the move, it’s very helpful for me.

But that is what ctrl-opt-cmd already shows you...?

If I see that one is, for example, 12 units too short, I select the respective point and move it shift-arrow, arrow, arrow, done.

If you want live view of distances for some precision work (e.g. at an angle), turn a guideline into measurement mode.

Yes, I mean the “live-view” like using guidelines. I asked because I find it uncomfortable to build a guideline-construction for each glyph to know how much was the angle, distance etc.

But thanks